PDA

View Full Version : Land Cruiser vs. Series

farmerdave
06-29-2011, 12:20 AM
So when I was in Botswana on a fishing trip, my guide had very definite opinions about which was better in the bush. We were in a Toy 75 pickup, so you can figure out his opinion. Why should I choose a series truck, which I favor for no reason other than I like them and have wanted one for years?

superstator
06-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Because you like them and have wanted one for years.

I Leak Oil
06-29-2011, 04:47 AM
They are both good vehicles, each in their own way. If you ask that question on a brand specific BBS you're bound to get skewed answers from the brand faithfull. Personally, I don't feel the need to convince anyone to buy a rover. Either you want one or you don't. Cruisers are bought by the practical, rovers are bought by those who are practical and passionate!

badvibes
06-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Run what you like. Rover, Jeep, Toyota, Warn, Ramsey, etc, etc, they all break down, they all will get stuck if you run them hard enough. That's what a good friend told me once, a guy who runs hard and has rolled and winched all of them. So pick what you like. Let us know what you decide. If it's a Rover there is a lot of support available on this board.

Jeff

rejeep
06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
after being a jeep guy my entire life I recently bought and partially restored my first land rover..

I have to say.. the first difference that comes to mind is "rugged simplicity"...

Rovers are much more apt to be field maintained, repaired, and cobbled together in the event of a breakdown..

While I feel more comfortable with a jeep in terms of mechanical work, I feel I would be able to do more with my rover with less equipment..

Lawrie
06-29-2011, 07:36 AM
I have owned both -I loved my old FJ40, the 6 cyl torque (a great engine -copied from chevy). The Cruiser did what i asked of it, but is bigger, heavier steering, more open slop around space in drivers compartment and steel bodied.
I have been in Rovers -Series, Defenders, tdi's,.. and like the feel better (as stated above so much of this is personal) but also find suppprt in the north east/parts, stuff is better for Rovers (Texas and Calif. better for Toyota), more options in rover, more models, more variations: easier to take a hardtop off a Rover -convert to pick up for an errand,..
Once you get to Rover TDI's then you have wonderful torque, effeciency, and low maintenance.
my thoughts.

leafsprung
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
rover advantages:

-lower center of gravity
-better parts availability
-better literature availability (parts manuals for cruisers are very difficult to find.
-dont have that silly tapered cab where your knee hits the window winder
-less rust prone (if thats possible)
-market is typically a little stronger for the rover.
-more varied models available (swb pickup,fc etc,)
-tops are interchangeable
-stronger t-case
-parts interchangeability is greater over more years

Cruiser advantages:

-more power
-longer front springs
-stronger axles
-good aftermarket support for more varied drivetrain options
- body has fewer components and is less prone to rattles and sqeaks
-better seating
-continued to develop over time getting discs/power steering etc

amcordo
06-29-2011, 09:34 PM
S*%ts gonna break on this thing and it's going to drive you nuts and poor at times - unless you're miraculous at everything on Earth. So it better just be...

Because you like them and have wanted one for years.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

farmerdave
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. Rover bias. 109 it will be.

I Leak Oil
06-30-2011, 04:41 AM
Exactly what I was looking for. Rover bias. 109 it will be.

Welcome to the insanity!

Billy5
06-30-2011, 06:26 AM
This is a good thread. I am buying my first Rover next week. 1969 series 2a. I have to say that from what I read and saw, it is the raw, basic go anywhere purpose of them. Just look at the driving instruction video on youtube. No pavement to be found. I have had cruisers before that. Loved it. But I am sure I will love this as well. I also like the fact they are aluminum, et..My research has shown me that both are based off the Willys Overland. My biggest problem with the cruiser scene is the fact that every other one i see has a v8. Why take out what was good and almost bullet proof? That is what makes a cruiser a cruiser or a rover a rover. My opinion is they are also overpriced. Well, most not all. I look forward to spending lots of time with my series. It will be my dd, and part of the family.

LaneRover
06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
My brother Peter - who got me into Rovers and has owned Jeeps, cruisers and Rovers said, "The Jeep was the best down the highway, the cruiser was OK on the highway and OK off-road, the Rover was the best off-road."

Brent

msggunny
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
My buddy who runs a game farm in Zimbabwe has a 109 and he hates it, drives his LC all the time. Gives me **** about it all the time. Guy i hunted with in Limpopo South Africa had same deal, he just left his 109 to rot. Father in law wont touch a rover and drives LC's (he lives in Zimbabwe), oddly enough his shop rebuilt my 88's engine.

The people i met in Africa who had rovers and loved them would drive nothing else. I think the biggest issue is the individual and his/her choice in the matter. Both break.

Its like our Ford vs Chevy thing over here.

I Leak Oil
06-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Its like our Ford vs Chevy thing over here.
What? That's no contest....Chebby all the way.....:D

yorker
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Just buy a stage 1 109, that will more or less get you a 109 with decent ability on highway when needed as well as the simplicity of a series. Land Cruisers are great but you obviously have your heart set on a Land Rover so go for it- otherwise you'll always be wondering what it is like to own one.

rickv100
06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Seems like the Land Rover's made the most impression, it must have been all those Wild Kingdom episodes.

I don't remember Land Cruisers being that prevalent in TV shows of the 60's and 70's.

Rick

rejeep
06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
everything you see on tv is true

LR Max
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Land Cruiser guys go out and get into trouble.

Us Land Rover guys KNOW we are in trouble before we even leave :rolleyes:

Seems to be the only difference ;)

msggunny
07-01-2011, 09:20 AM
What? That's no contest....Chebby all the way.....:D

I vote neither, you would be hard pressed to get me to buy an American car now a days.

lrdukdog
07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
This is a nice Tojo http://www.dealershipids.com/westcoastauto/details2.php?car_id=NDQ0

too bad i don't have the $$.:(
Jim Wolf

Lalo88DK
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Landcruisers are fine cars, but they lack charm, they drive okay, but they are just evenly dull :rolleyes: Owning an old Land Rover is a way of life. :D
Finally, it can be hard to find parts when the Landcruisers get older. And if you can find the parts, they cost (in Europe) many times more than an equivalent Land Rover part.

As the saying goes: :p
If you're going out in the desert, then buy a Landcruiser, if you want to get out alive, buy an old Land Rover. ;)

By the way how many old Landcruisers are still on the road today, compared to old Land Rovers.....

LaneRover
07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I vote neither, you would be hard pressed to get me to buy an American car now a days.

I did hate getting rid of my 73 Ford.

bpj911
07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I say you should buy an old powerwagon.

mongoswede
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM

If anything a land Rover or Land Cruiser will feel like a cushy cruiser after driving a power wagon for a while.

amcordo
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM

It's not the 80s or 90s anymore MSGGunny! American vehicles have improved drastically (at least Ford and Chevy).

bobzinak
07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
land cruisers, jeeps, power wagons, chevys, fords...all have there good points, but...how come driving an old series land rovers brings smiles from folks driving by, how come a series land rover owners will tell you of people walking up to them and saying things like " I used to have one of those", or I always wanted one of those rovers", or just come up to tell you that you have a "cool car"...Owing a old land rover not only teaches you how to care for an aging machine, but also makes you friends..like the poeple on this forum, and many like it throughout the world..It is not only a mode of transport (although slow) it is also a hobby..so if you don't want friends, or a hobby, choose something else..maybe something with a check engine light..I've driven my series 2A for over forty years, it is the only vehicle I've owned..it has never left me stranded, driven me crazy alot of times, but I still love her, know most land rover owners give there rovers masculine names, but mine is a female, (but I think shes a *******)..enjoy life, its short..rove on my friends..bobzinak

badvibes
07-01-2011, 06:00 PM
..rove on my friends..bobzinak

bobzinak-

Is that you?

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zsa89u.jpg

Stay thirsty my friends.....

LR Max
07-04-2011, 09:07 AM

New powerwagon is rather slick.

American full size trucks are AWESOME. Ford, chevy, dodge. They've all got their act together and make cool stuff.

Cars and small trucks, nope. There is a reason there are so many Tacomas and hardly any Chevy Colorados.

Sorry for the thread hijack :rolleyes:

msggunny
07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
It's not the 80s or 90s anymore MSGGunny! American vehicles have improved drastically (at least Ford and Chevy).
They have improved drastically and there are a couple that i would buy, however my wife works for Enterprise and all their big 3 cars they have (which are bran new) have non stop issues. That and the companies they do the most business with for "loner" cars when the owners cars are in the shop getting a recall done or something fixed are Cadillac, Dodge, and Chevy.

She also had Land Rover and Jaguar too, but i wont comment on the amount of customers she had coming from them.....

junkyddog11
07-05-2011, 06:13 AM
I like (and enjoy) a not so subtle blend of Toyota and Land Rover.

I've owned many Yotas but find that the Rover actually is far easier to deal with both mechanically and more importantly in my neck of the woods.......rust. Damn Yotas just wouldn't stop doing it no matter how much love I gave them. Used to drive a Cruiser and have a Range Rover for backup LOL. 18yrs and half a million miles later I still have the Range Rover (and it's Toyota parts).