PDA

View Full Version : Valve Assembly: SIII

jrd51ox
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Been awhile...and yet again, I'm back for help....

The Valve Assembly on my SIII Heater Control is leaking radiator fluid. I never used the heater and have been running without a problem for over a year now, guess I'm due.

No idea how to stop this fluid loss.....or which direction the sliding valve should be.

Please advise.....and always thanks for all your help.

This is where the fluid is coming from....
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2457-valve-assm-heater-control-series-iii.aspx

Les Parker
06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I would suggest fitting one of these and by-passing the heater altogether, until you can locate the replacement heater valve :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=rnc663

SafeAirOne
06-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Those valves stink. There's a rubber diaphragm inside there that can crack, allowing coolant to leak out where the actuating lever is. They're expensive and mine only lasted maybe... 4 years.

There are alternatives to this valve out there if you are creative.

BTW--The threads are just normal pipe threads IIRC. Home depot sells stuff that'll get you by in an emergency.

stomper
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Ive seen a ball valve placed inline. It was a great idea, but you had to open the hood to adjust the heat.

jrd51ox
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
What is the easiest & cheapest fix if I have no need to ever use the heater?

SafeAirOne
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
What is the easiest & cheapest fix if I have no need to ever use the heater?

Remove the fittings for both heater hoses at the thermostat housing and install 2 plugs from Home Depot.

jrd51ox
06-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Great, thank you.

bobzinak
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
cheapest way, napa part number BK6601402, right angle valve with shut off. Cable controled valve napa BK6601301..I've used these for years with out a problem.. The rover one necks down the hose to 3/8. after market keeps the 5/8 diameter, increasing the coolant flow = bettter heat. even if you don't use the heater for heating the cab, it is nice to have warm air for defrosting, such as it is in a land rover s111. bobzinak

SalemRover
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
cheapest way, napa part number BK6601402, right angle valve with shut off. Cable controled valve napa BK6601301..I've used these for years with out a problem.. The rover one necks down the hose to 3/8. after market keeps the 5/8 diameter, increasing the coolant flow = bettter heat. even if you don't use the heater for heating the cab, it is nice to have warm air for defrosting, such as it is in a land rover s111. bobzinak

Thank You! I do like having that heater control on the series III but my valve died years ago and I have been running a straight pipe. What I do not like about the straight pipe solution is that the lower dash gets pretty warm with just the ambient air flowing through on a hot summers day.

-Jason

SafeAirOne
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Cable controled valve napa BK6601301.

Good to know. Since my 4 year old factory valve failled, I had been using a plastic cable-operated VW valve but wasn't satisfied with its performance, so I removed that and just plumbed it straight through. This valve is a great option, by the looks of it.

This is also known by the Folur Seasons part number 74661 if you are getting it anywhere other than NAPA.

Do you know, by chance, whether its a pull for heat or a push for heat setup?

https://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/395137.jpg

TedW
06-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Um, looks good to me. But how does one attach the cable? The posts don't appear to have any threads.

bkreutz
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
There are universal cable kits available (think choke cable), some of them have a spiral curl on the end that slips over the arm on the valve, or they use an adjustable barrel stop with a hole in it. Or you could put the ball valve like was suggested earlier, you would have to open the hood to adjust the heat, and then you'd be just like an MG Midget:D

Edit: Ted, I just re-read your post, to secure the cable a friction clip is used.

TedW
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Edit: Ted, I just re-read your post, to secure the cable a friction clip is used.

Is that something NAPA would have?

bkreutz
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
They should, they're used in a lot of different applications (like holding emblems and trim on) basically they're a piece of tin with a hole and kind of a finger that operates like a finger trap, pushes on easy one way and not so easy the other way, I've got a tub full of them I collected in my 40 years of being a mechanic.

Donnie
06-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Been awhile...and yet again, I'm back for help....

The Valve Assembly on my SIII Heater Control is leaking radiator fluid. I never used the heater and have been running without a problem for over a year now, guess I'm due.

No idea how to stop this fluid loss.....or which direction the sliding valve should be.

Please advise.....and always thanks for all your help.

This is where the fluid is coming from....
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2457-valve-assm-heater-control-series-iii.aspx
I agree with bobzinak on this one. I use the NAPA cable controlled valve on many applications..It is inexpensive & easy to install & works great. Ford trucks & vans used this style for many years..I use one on my grease wagen to control the flow of coolant to my 2nd tank.......donnie

Donnie
06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Um, looks good to me. But how does one attach the cable? The posts don't appear to have any threads.
Ted, the valve has a post in which to attach the cable, it is about 13mm long, and as you said , it has no threads. Here is the twist, pun intended, A tool co. no longer in supply, not sure who bought them, KD TOOL'S from Lancaster ,Pa. Made & sold a tool in which you could curl about 3 or 4 rounds on the end of any "choke style" cable..It was / is called a Boden or Bowen end, not sure.. I have this tool somewhere & it is seldom used, but any old timer mech. should have one in his tool box..It is like a pair of plyers with a special end on it. donnie

bobzinak
06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Perhaps I should of elaborated more...I brnt a small 1/4 inch loop at the end of my land rover control cable, slips over the control rod on the valve. there is a outer cable clamp on the valve that holds the outer cable housing firmly in place during the on/off positioning of the valve. simple and easy. I also put on off valves from the hose inlet/outlet of the head so I could compleatly shut off the heater system. much like the ones that come standard on the military land rovers. so on hot days I can still turn on the heater fan for a little more fresh air into the cab, but not the heat from the heater coil..how much stuff you want to add is up to you..they did ask what was the cheapest...this is the cheap way if you still want to be able to control temp level in the cab. I know that there are rover purists out there who would not put a non rover pop rivit on there vehicle, but many of us are not so well heeled or picky about it...I would not advocate anything that you could alter, that you could not return to original speck should one chose to do so. with british cars many parts were put on many english vehicles....I always felt that the MGB GT had one of every model of lucas switch ever made...remember, its just a rover...they are all a little personalized. thats what I like about them. you can make them just the way you want..but keep it simple...bobzinak

jrd51ox
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry for the delay. Lots of great info and I appreicate all the help.

jrd51ox
07-06-2011, 07:10 PM
.......and hey Ted. Long time, hope all is well. As always, thank you.

TedW
07-07-2011, 06:49 AM
.......and hey Ted. Long time, hope all is well. As always, thank you.

You, too! I bought and installed the NAPA valve pictured above. It really helps clean up the engine compartment. I found out that a small electrical ring connector fits perfectly over the control post. Crimp it to the end of your cable and you're good to go. I'll take pics tonight.....

Ted

TedW
07-11-2011, 07:43 AM
You, too! I bought and installed the NAPA valve pictured above. It really helps clean up the engine compartment. I found out that a small electrical ring connector fits perfectly over the control post. Crimp it to the end of your cable and you're good to go. I'll take pics tonight.....

Ted

Here's a picture of the installed valve. Very neat and tidy.

SafeAirOne
07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Ted, Does that valve open when you pull the cable, or push the cable?

Thanks!

TedW
07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Ted, Does that valve open when you pull the cable, or push the cable?

Thanks!

It's the same as the original: It closes when you pull the cable.

However, the profound, spectacular genius of this design is that it has two opposing control posts (I think they both show up in the photo) - so you can set it up however you wish. If I decide tomorrow that I want my control to work the opposite way, I just lift the cable connector off one post and put it on the other one. Voila!