PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Advice needed...

rastaman
06-29-2011, 12:20 PM
1973 Ser3 88...I have read a lot of previous post but didnt find my answer....
I am currently using an electric pump. The mechanical pump was replaced by the PO just before the rover sat for awhile. I would not work when I got the vehicle.

I am thinking that I would like to go back to the mech. pump, and leave the electric pump as a backup.

from what I have read there seems to be a question about reliability and quality of some of the pumps out there.
question:
1.. Will any of the rebuild kits work with any pump, (not sure what pump I have) and which kit seems to work best.

2..Which pump has the best track record and a source for said pump.

3,,Am I just as well leaving the electrical pump in, and carry a spare
if I want a 'backup'

David

LR Max
06-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Stay electric. Procure and carry spare electric pump.

Problem solved.

Les Parker
06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
What's the "spear" for, an outdoor adventure in the offering?

Donnie
06-30-2011, 06:31 PM
1973 Ser3 88...I have read a lot of previous post but didnt find my answer....
I am currently using an electric pump. The mechanical pump was replaced by the PO just before the rover sat for awhile. I would not work when I got the vehicle.

I am thinking that I would like to go back to the mech. pump, and leave the electric pump as a backup.

from what I have read there seems to be a question about reliability and quality of some of the pumps out there.
question:
1.. Will any of the rebuild kits work with any pump, (not sure what pump I have) and which kit seems to work best.

2..Which pump has the best track record and a source for said pump.

3,,Am I just as well leaving the electrical pump in, and carry a spare
if I want a 'backup'

David
If the truck sat a while, U will be prone to finding some rust problems. Get an electric pump, install a clear filter BEFORE & AFTER the pump. If U are trail riding, make sure that they are well up under the truck so as not to be caught on something & ripped off..The one before the pump will catch the rust & being clear U will know when to change it....donnie

JimCT
06-30-2011, 07:16 PM
use the engine driven pump. They are simple and proven for decades of use. An electric pump is only a band aid for a easily solved problem.

Apis Mellifera
06-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Mechanical unless there's a reason you must use an electric. I can't say what rebuild kit is best since I've never had to rebuild mine, but I'd imagine a genuine pump and parts are the best for this particular part.

jac04
06-30-2011, 09:46 PM
The Genuine fuel pump rebuild kits are not correct - the diaphram is made incorrectly. The rebuild kits for the aftermarket pumps don't usually work for the Genuine pumps. Based on the quality of the aftermarket pumps, you are probably best off getting the current Genuine replacement (without the glass sediment bowl).

I Leak Oil
07-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I've had no issues using the mechanical pump for 17 years now. Use what ever you're comfortable with. New mechanical pumps are so inexpensive it's not worth it to me to rebuild one any more.

artpeck
07-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Just curious as to how you know your mechanical pump is not working. On mine the pump was working so I pulled and replaced it with a new one. The original had been sitting for 16 years so I figured it was dead and didnt see the value in a rebuild. For snicks I threw it into a bucket of degreaser for a week or so and lo and behold it worked when it came out of the bath. Assume that varnish had collected and the soak freed up the diaphragm. Replaced the gasket on the glass bowl and now I have a spare.

rastaman
07-01-2011, 12:33 PM
The Genuine fuel pump rebuild kits are not correct - the diaphram is made incorrectly. The rebuild kits for the aftermarket pumps don't usually work for the Genuine pumps. Based on the quality of the aftermarket pumps, you are probably best off getting the current Genuine replacement (without the glass sediment bowl).

Just curious as to why the one without the glass bowl?

rastaman
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Just curious as to how you know your mechanical pump is not working. On mine the pump was working so I pulled and replaced it with a new one. The original had been sitting for 16 years so I figured it was dead and didnt see the value in a rebuild. For snicks I threw it into a bucket of degreaser for a week or so and lo and behold it worked when it came out of the bath. Assume that varnish had collected and the soak freed up the diaphragm. Replaced the gasket on the glass bowl and now I have a spare.

Well I wasnt getting any gas out of it...I havent taken it off yet...so I might try cleaning it. however as inexpensive as they are I may just buy a new one.

Andrew IIA
07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm happy with my original-style glass bowl mechanical pump; installed 10 years ago.

<no jinx, no jinx>

artpeck
07-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Well I wasnt getting any gas out of it...I havent taken it off yet...so I might try cleaning it. however as inexpensive as they are I may just buy a new one.

Got it. I assumed it wasnt installed since you had said that the po had installed an electric.