PDA

View Full Version : Transmission main lever question

artpeck
07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
In the course of replacing the speedometer cable (done and I now know how slow I am going) I took a look at the end of the main shifting lever as the gears have recently been playing hide and seek. On it above the ball end was a very worn braided rubber hose which looked to be what kept the shift lever properly centered in the gates. Turns out my gear issue has been that with this worn and fraying you could move the ball into another gate while the previous one was not fully in neutral.
My question is I can't find this hose piece on any parts site and am curious if it is standard or an add. I can easily fabricate something but more curious than aything else.

Thanks!

bkreutz
07-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Sounds like the PO made a "field repair", look at a manual (or maybe here http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-54-levers-linkage.aspx (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/c-54-levers-linkage.aspx)) and try to figure out what's missing or worn out. (posting a picture might help get some advice as well)

knac1234
07-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Art,

FWIW......as a newbie I may actually shed some light here!

When I lost 3rd and 4th gear I had to pull out the lever to (creatively) replace the synchro clips in the tranny. I too had the same issues---occasionally it could select another gear while in gear (which, in having difficulty getting it out of gear, I think that's how my synchro clip broke).

Anyway, at the bottom of the lever the ball itself was wasted. I purchased a new lever from Brit Pacific for $35 I think, and visually the difference was obvious. The old ball was gone, so, as you said, it could go into another gate (diagonally); the larger new ball was sufficiently large to prevent such an action.

Replaced it, and never a problem since (1500 miles). I know it's not the hose piece you speak of, but there was no such thing on my old or new one.

Best $35 I've spent!

Julian

PS You will need a Whitworth wrench to remove the bolts on the bottom of the lever housing (I had none....but then found an original tool bag with the right one!). Also a circlip plier, as a large circlip retains the giant spring in the gear lever housing.

artpeck
07-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks to both of you for the info. Couple of questions? I dug a bit in the forum and a few posts refer to a nylon ball at the bottom of the lever. From the RN diagram is it hard to see if there is one or not on the new part. I have mine apart and it has none, just a larger metal area at the bottom which allows a lot of play in the gates. But no sign of wear at all.

Here is the weird part. I know the previous owner as he is a distant family member. He bought the truck new and it sat after the early 80's and only has 30,000 miles. I spoke to him last night and he insists he never did anything and in fact never had the floor open much less repaired anything on the transmission.

Bit of a mystery.

SafeAirOne
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
The new shift levers have a plastic donut on the bottom where it engages the shifters. The old ones had a small metal ball with a groove for an o-ring around the "equator".

artpeck
07-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Clearly I have an old one. That describes it. And for the moment I cut an o ring out of a piece of hi temperature hose and pressed it on. Shifts very smoothly. Better than any time I have owned the truck and no more hide and seek on the gears.

Stange on the piece of hose at was on it. Clearly it had been applied with force and fore thought as I had to cut it off.

knac1234
07-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Great idea. That nylon ball was gone from mine. Wish I'd have thought of your innovative solution!

Julian