PDA

View Full Version : Here's a kool Ebay item from the UK...

TedW
07-04-2011, 07:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290581636169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_9122wt_1141

Has anyone tried this? Do I smell a group buy??

Apis Mellifera
07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I can do this mod and as I am set to rebuild a swivel housing in the coming week, I'll reproduce what was done in the link to see how hard it is (literally). Unless the swivel pin is hardened, it should be fairly quick and easy.

My swivel is nearly 40 years old and is only now worn requiring repair, so I'm wondering how necessary the mod is.

I Leak Oil
07-04-2011, 05:01 PM
That single grease groove around the diameter isn't going to allow the grease to get where it needs to go very effectively. It really needs to spiral out to cover the entire pin. Shouldn't be hard to machine one of these. They're probably soft, case hard at best.

TedW
07-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I can do this mod and as I am set to rebuild a swivel housing in the coming week, I'll reproduce what was done in the link to see how hard it is (literally). Unless the swivel pin is hardened, it should be fairly quick and easy.

My swivel is nearly 40 years old and is only now worn requiring repair, so I'm wondering how necessary the mod is.

My original king pins weren't worn either (just a few pits), but the Railco bushings were worn. And that, I think, is more the point. Seems to me that the grease would help with the life of the Railcos.

ILeak, I think that this would actually work pretty well, especially if you took the weight off the wheel when you injected the grease. That said, I agree that your solution would be better.

KevinNY
07-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

TedW
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Could be, I suppose, but anything that can help delay a swivel rebuild is good, IMHO.