PDA

View Full Version : First thumbs up

rickv100
07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I was out driving the Land Rover S3 109 on Saturday. In my area most people don't even know what I am driving.

I was coming to an intersection in our town and a CJ5 was coming the other way. Driver gave me a thumbs up and a horn blast as he turned it was good to see a fellow enthusiast taking his truck out for a drive.

I wound up behind him and his daughter kept looking back at us.

Rick

knac1234
07-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Rick,

Half the fun of driving these old trucks (and the same for my other Brit stuff)!

I routinely get honks and thumbs up. What's really interesting is, when my battery went flat in front of the hardware store, how many people over a couple of hours asked about it and loved it. I literally had 3 people offer to buy it from me (pretty funny as it wasn't running).

The icing on the cake----when I pulled out the starter handle trying to start it up. I couldn't get it (maybe not enough strength) to go, but did I have a lot of stares and comments!

Julian

artpeck
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=rickv100;72149][FONT=Arial]I was out driving the Land Rover S3 109 on Saturday. In my area most people don't even know what I am driving.

Curious where you are located. I am in Northern Cal and both my defender and series are very rare sightings. No one has a clue what they are. And yet range rovers and LRs are everywhere.

westcoastkevin
07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
I can hardly wait to be driving me "51 80".... argh, never home to work on it.

bpj911
07-05-2011, 06:05 PM
the guy in the jeep probably thought it was a jeep. If he knew it wasn't he probably wouldn't have waved. i purposely don't wave at jeeps so i can only assume they would never intentionally wave at a land rover...

rickv100
07-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I live in South Jersey outside of Philly.

Rick

LaneRover
07-06-2011, 05:42 AM
the guy in the jeep probably thought it was a jeep. If he knew it wasn't he probably wouldn't have waved. i purposely don't wave at jeeps so i can only assume they would never intentionally wave at a land rover...

I think that depends on how old the Jeep was. I think that at some point old trucks get respect from all other old trucks!

Or is it old truck drivers?

SalemRover
07-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I think that depends on how old the Jeep was. I think that at some point old trucks get respect from all other old trucks!

Or is it old truck drivers?

The oddest thumbs up I got was from someone driving a Prius, poor guy. A few weeks ago I stopped at the local hardware store and there was a really nice 46 flat fender willy's. I waited til he came out and we chatted in that parking lot for about 20 minutes. So yeah, over the past 10 years of rover ownership I have developed a soft spot for old trucks in general.

-Jason

rwollschlager
07-06-2011, 09:56 AM
The oddest thumbs up I got was from someone driving a Prius, poor guy. A few weeks ago I stopped at the local hardware store and there was a really nice 46 flat fender willy's. I waited til he came out and we chatted in that parking lot for about 20 minutes. So yeah, over the past 10 years of rover ownership I have developed a soft spot for old trucks in general.

-Jason

a lot of the waves I get are from other old trucks or just old cars in general. I even get a few waves from some of the muscle cars around town.

Yesterday on my way home in the 88 was, ummm different. A d-90 going the opposite direction on the free way didnt return my honk or wave (thats twice this has happened, with two separate 90's on two different occasions). Then going over a 6 lane bridge some lady in a black chevy blazer rolled down her window and began talking or yelling at me, I was in a rag top 88 so I have not the slightest clue as to what she said before she sped off. Soon after a gentleman in a black wrangler pulled up along side gave me a big grin and thumbs up. What a day

-Rob

JackIIA
07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
a lot of the waves I get are from other old trucks or just old cars in general. I even get a few waves from some of the muscle cars around town.

Yesterday on my way home in the 88 was, ummm different. A d-90 going the opposite direction on the free way didnt return my honk or wave (thats twice this has happened, with two separate 90's on two different occasions).

-Rob

Rob - I used to see that happen when the first big wave of Range Rovers came over. I'd be waving to people who had no idea there was any connection between their ride and mine. Probably just a function of folks who are not car people but happen to like the RR or Defender moniker. That's fine. More for us!!

mrdoiron
07-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Good chance this was the case... I had a YJ years ago, and would seldom pass another jeep without a 'peace' sign flashed - seems jeep owners have a bond that way. I get a few of these occasionally from jeep drivers and often wonder if they mistake the rover for a jeep, or is it a tangential brotherhood thing for another 4x4... dunno

mike

rickv100
07-07-2011, 08:05 AM

And they probably call your Dodge M37 a jeep. :)

Rick

mrdoiron
07-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Good chance this was the case... I had a YJ years ago, and would seldom pass another jeep without a 'peace' sign flashed - seems jeep owners have a bond that way....
mike

And suppose we too could have a "bond" on passing by each other on the road also, that is if I passed by more than only 1-2 Series trucks a year on the road ! Especially in Texas, not a whole lot of the oil drippers driving around...

mike