PDA

View Full Version : Rover Part Numbering "System"?

SafeAirOne
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to Land Rover's seemingly random system of parts numbering? I've always tried to spot a pattern, but it has eluded me. I figure there's got to be a method to their madness if they're mostly 3 LETTERS and 3, 4 or 5 numbers.

EXAMPLES:

ERC5708--Fan Clutch
ERC3606--Exhaust Gasket

MUC1822--Door Seal
MUC8949--Tub Crossmember

STC50552--Thread locking compound
STC244--Transmission brake adjuster

Surely these numbering codes must mean something to someone? :confused::confused:

bobzinak
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
you missed one of the three letter codes "FRC" witch my frind who was a rover parts distributor said meant "f**k the rover customer" thought you'd like to know..bozinak...

Les Parker
07-12-2011, 09:01 AM
The 3 digit sequencing/part numbering was introduced in the British Leyland/ BMC days, I do not think Rover had much choice in the numbering, much as the current system used by Ford makes any more sense.

The best part of it used to be the hardware method of identity,

ie: BH605081L is Bolt (BH) , (6) UNF thread (05) 5/16" (081) 8 X 18" = 1"

Thus this is:- Bolt, UNF, 5/16" X 1" Long[/B]

Nice , huh?

patrickfoley1
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Regarding the Part Numbers for "Series" Land Rovers, I have arrived at the following conclusions. I. Over the years parts for previous "Series" were modified to also fit newer models, and a new number was assigned. 2. When ownership of the Marque changed hands, the new owners found it necessary to change part numbers in order to avoid confusing the Land Rover Parts with their own. I am the Original Owner of a NADA. I have found that Land Rover used the Rover Numbers when they dropped the 2.6 L Engine into the Series IIA 109. Some time ago I acquired the "Order Desk" Catalogues from an old Land Rover Dealer. The number of Part Number Changes that took place over the years is unbelievable. Of equal interest is the fact that this major dealer had no parts list for the NADA. The Letter+ 3 numerals system came along after the discontinuance of the Series IIA.
Jim Chandler

SafeAirOne
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Ah. So other than the hardware numbering system that Les mentioned, the system is pretty much just random chaos then. :( That's pretty much what I figured.

Pegasus Parts
07-14-2011, 09:19 AM
It's not quite as chaotic looking as it appears.

There is the generic fasteners system, NH, BH, NY, WL, WP etc. prefix codes.

You will also come across the old Unipart prefixes, GEX for exhaust parts, GEG for engine gaskets, GWP for water pumps etc.

The others seem to be related to project codes. eg RTC was Rover Triumph Cars, FRC was for the 109 V8.

The clue is to look at the low numbers of each prefix and see where they were first used.

I could be completely wrong of course....