PDA

View Full Version : Need rear tub right and left side panels---any clues?

knac1234
07-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Hello all,

Turns out what I thought would be easy is not!

I need to replace the right and left sides of my rear tub (88 Series III). Turns out the panels are NLA.

Any clues where to look? Anyone have one (at least the right side needs it--PO riveted on a panel under the gas filler tube/cap that looks very wrong!).

Regards,
Julian

SafeAirOne
07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Probably be easier to find a good complete tub. I imagine replacement of the side panels would be pretty labor-intensive.

I'd just check around the usual places--Hosts, craigslist, lrx (or whatever they are now), etc.

knac1234
07-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks Mark.....

If one appears in Colorado, it might be an option (and a good one!).

Otherwise, the panel search will continue. It should not be too bad....drill out all the spot welds and rivets, remove, and replace using panel adhesive. Top/side panels will already be off, and also the trim for regalvanizing, making access "easy." Of course, that's in theory ;)

Julian

usadventureracing
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I just sold the gas tank side quarter panel but have the other side.......this is brand new never been painted or installed. PM me if you are interested.

mongoswede
07-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Hello all,

Turns out what I thought would be easy is not!

I need to replace the right and left sides of my rear tub (88 Series III). Turns out the panels are NLA.

Any clues where to look? Anyone have one (at least the right side needs it--PO riveted on a panel under the gas filler tube/cap that looks very wrong!).

Regards,
Julian

Are you talking about the quarter panels or the small panels that site on each side of the tailgate/rear door where the brake/turn signal lights mount? If its the small panels at the rear I think it would be easy to draw these up and have some cut out by a water jet...or just use one as a template and use a saw to rough them out and file to finish.

knac1234
07-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Mongo,

No, those (either side of the door) are available (and cheaply).

The entire side of the tub where the gas filler cap is...I'd call it a rear right fender!!

This may make my project stall indefinitely.....even though it's an inexpensive paint job....can't paint the truck with that cr*p panel still in place :confused:

Julian

mongoswede
07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Mongo,

No, those (either side of the door) are available (and cheaply).

The entire side of the tub where the gas filler cap is...I'd call it a rear right fender!!

This may make my project stall indefinitely.....even though it's an inexpensive paint job....can't paint the truck with that cr*p panel still in place :confused:

Julian

where do you live?

knac1234
07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Near Colorado Springs.....

martindktm
07-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Mine were pretty bad and we were able to revive them...I dont know how bad are yours...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OU925R_PfVk/TAqzkB6FIyI/AAAAAAAAED4/2fUDgGqhums/s800/IMG_0786.JPG

It was like that on both side and it came out not that bad...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JsSVbJXNwO0/TfU-xVEhNrI/AAAAAAAAE8U/pSxwUEyDLDE/s800/IMG_1615.JPG

It was rotten at the 3 places where the steel braket were riveted...

knac1234
07-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Martin,

Where those 2 cut outs are, is that considered the seat belt reinforcement area for rear belts?

I have been advised to remove the "bracket" you refer to in order to prevent future corrosion (I have no belts back there anyway). Is this what you did? Just wondering as there is no bracket apparent in the picture where the holes are that you cut the panel.

Cheers,
Julian

martindktm
07-14-2011, 12:00 PM
There were only one and a half seat belt braket left...The other were just...rust that collapsed on the touch...

Yes I did remove them and glued some aluminum patch by behind and filled about 1/16 of bondo to make it flush with the rest of the panel. I wanted the less amound of bondo as possible.

knac1234
07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Martin-

Can you elaborate on the removal of those seat belt reinforcement bits that turned to rust!?

Do these bits unbolt or do they have to be cut out (from the frame???).

I will remove these, assuming it is not mission impossible!

Thanks,
Julian

martindktm
07-14-2011, 09:21 PM
You simply need to grind or drill some rivets. And some beers.:thumb-up:

knac1234
07-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Good news....rivets couldn't be easier! Thanks.

Julian

knac1234
07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Found a right side (actually 2 of them!), but a left still eludes me. Thought I'd repost as a last try. Otherwise I will likely go the route of Martin (be prepared for some PMs and questions!!!!).

Cheers,
Julian