X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apis Mellifera
    3rd Gear
    • Apr 2008

Swivel Balls

Is there any interchange in swivel balls between Series, Defenders, and Rangies? I'm going to need a new one for my SIII. Seems like an easy way to get disc brakes if the swivel balls interchange. Of course, if it were that easy, I'm sure it would have been done already.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.
  • I Leak Oil
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

Adapting the swivel ball and hub would be the easy part. You'd have to deal with the axle shaft and steering, that would be a little more complicated. I've been thinking about this also. You could use the coiler shafts and have the inner shaft machined to fit. The steering can be dealt with easily enough. In the end it's probably easier and cheaper to just use the entire coiler axle.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• SafeAirOne
      Overdrive
      • Apr 2008

That very topic was discussed at length on the old G&R board here.
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• TeriAnn
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Apis Mellifera
        Is there any interchange in swivel balls between Series, Defenders, and Rangies?
        Not between Series and coilers. The Series swivel ball assembly is larger and more robust than the coiler parts.

Sorry no parts interchangeability unless you swap out the complete axle housing & everything associated with it. It would almost certainly be cheaper & faster to buy new swivel balls and a Series disc brake conversion.

Last I checked Britpart is the sole source of new Series swivel balls.
        -

Teriann Wakeman_________
        Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

Working...