PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

MJL
07-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I had a WARN HS9500 winch on one of my Range Rovers years back. The Rover sat for a few years before it was scrapped but I took the winch off and it has sat in my basement for 3 years. This weekend I decided to install it on my Series III. I bought a winch plate that I installed on Saturday afternoon and bolted the winch on to it. I left the wiring until today. Got it all wired up. Hit the switch and all I got was a "Click" from the solenoids. After further inevestigation and testing it appeared the motor was bad. I pulled it and couldn't believe the rust inside it, The armature was seized to the field windings. I managed to get it all apart but I'm not sure it is salvageable.

Has anyone had any experience in cleaning up a rusted electric motor like this? I started to look on line and these things cost about $350 to replace.

Thanks
Mike

SafeAirOne
07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Take the motor to your local auto-electric shop and see how much it will cost othave it refurbished.

Firemanshort
07-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Depending on a lot of things..... you may be able to steel wool a lot of the parts back into working condition. If the rust is bad enough to have actually eaten up steel - then you may be hosed, though.

I bought a second hand winch on the cheap - the motor was packed up with rust and dirt. I took it all apart, hosed it out, used steel wool and a soft bristled wire brush (paint brush size) on the electrical contacts and reassembled and it has worked for 2 years now.

slorocco
07-18-2011, 07:23 AM
I agree with safeairone. Find a local electric shop that rebuilds motors. Should be good as new for 1/2 the price of a new motor.

o2batsea
07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Bite the bullet. The shop is going to tell you the same thing, that the motor is not worth saving.

galen216
07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
That motor can probably be had on ebay for a lot less. Check DB Electrical. I got the motor for my warn 8274 for less than $150 shipped.

MJL
07-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Already tried them - they do not stock the motor I need. Cheapest I have been able to find is $300 delivered