PDA

View Full Version : grenaded rear end -stuck half shaft

rwollschlager
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Long story short after taking much of my abuse, my SIIA 109's rear end finally blew up. Shards of metal blew through the rear diff cover and promptly leaked all the oil out. Fun stuff. I managed to pull one shaft out, but for the life of me cannot get the other side out. The splines are most likely twisted. I have the drive flange off, and the shaft wont come out. I sent a metal rod through the other side and used a BFH to try knocking it out but to no prevail. I also loosened the diff and tried to lift that out, but that also was not working because of the other shaft. Am I missing something/what are some other tricks to get this other shaft out?
Thanks,
-Rob

VTBKRDS
07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
You need to remove the cross pin to remove the spider gears. Then you should be able to "tap" out the oppossing shaft using your rod and BFH. Hopefully you haven't damaged the cross pin to badly from pounding against it. Disc cutter will make short work of it, if it is.

rwollschlager
07-18-2011, 05:25 PM
The cross pin cannot be removed unless the diff is out. In this case the diff could not be taken out with that other half shaft still in place. The trick is to use a rod small enough to snake past the cross pin but still make contact with the other shaft.

Update: I was able to remove the stuck shaft - I took off the hub, spindle, and brake backing plate, reinstalled the drive-flange, put a rope around the drive flange, and gave it a light tug with my 88, popped right out. Not the cleanest, easiest, or safest way to do it, but its done. Video to follow.

JimCT
07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
looks like it is time for a Salisbury, Detroit locker and GB's hardened axles and flanges. If they can survive me and the ambulance they should work great for you.

rwollschlager
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
If i can find a Salisbury around that would be great. As of now I'm completely rebuilding the stock rear end because I have most of the bits for it laying around my yard. I do not think I'm ready to take the plunge in buying a traction aid for the 109 as it serves as the around town/base camp vehicle while the 88 is the designated trail truck.

slorocco
07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I know of a Salisbury that is available in NY. It is a takeout from a low mileage 109 6 cyl. PM me if you're interested in contact info.

RoverForm
07-20-2011, 06:28 PM
let's see that video...

rwollschlager
07-21-2011, 11:53 AM
let's see that video...

excuse the initial commentary, but here it is:

OktO7goaPPA

-Rob

LR Max
07-21-2011, 10:30 PM
looks like it is time for a Salisbury, Detroit locker and GB's hardened axles and flanges. If they can survive me and the ambulance they should work great for you.

THIS!

I don't have GB aftermarket shafts but stock salisbury with a Detroit locker. If you want to off road that 109, add this. Significant improvement in performance and piece of mind knowing that it ain't gonna give out on you.

SalemRover
07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Rob,

Heading out now to get yet another puller for my salisbury rear rebuild. I feel your pain. When you get the new one it would be worth taking the time to inspect it before putting it in. If you go the salisbury route Its much easier to do a salisbury rebuild out of the truck than on it fyi. Good luck wrenching!

-Jason

daveb
07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Jason, what happened to your Salisbury?

Rob,

Heading out now to get yet another puller for my salisbury rear rebuild. I feel your pain. When you get the new one it would be worth taking the time to inspect it before putting it in. If you go the salisbury route Its much easier to do a salisbury rebuild out of the truck than on it fyi. Good luck wrenching!

-Jason

SalemRover
07-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Dave,

Well if you keep pulling sapling stumps out of your backyard something is bound to give up the ghost. The halfshafts in the salisbury were pretty worn and one grenaded and the nub lodged itself in the carrier. I opened it up to fish it out and Hey! That pinion is loose! that oil seal is failed! there is wear on my bearing cups! I am sure you know how it goes. So I am in the middle of that.

Cheers,

Jason

daveb
07-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Indeed, just went through that with the rear axle on my 90. $1000 in parts later and all is well again.

Dave,

Well if you keep pulling sapling stumps out of your backyard something is bound to give up the ghost. The halfshafts in the salisbury were pretty worn and one grenaded and the nub lodged itself in the carrier. I opened it up to fish it out and Hey! That pinion is loose! that oil seal is failed! there is wear on my bearing cups! I am sure you know how it goes. So I am in the middle of that.

Cheers,

Jason