PDA

View Full Version : Rover Remorse

bullstanky
07-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Do you guys ever suffer from rover remorse like I do? I mean, do you ever find yourself pining for a rover in really nice shape that just happens to cost about half as much as you currently have invested in your 75% complete rover project?

This sexy ex-mod SIII 109 on ebay looks to be more complete and in better shape than my SIII 109 that I've been working on for 4+ years now....and that still needs several G's worth of work done to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-Series-3-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUC IQ26otnQ3d2Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d1458146 494992530000QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ28070857436 2

I can only hope that it comes with the leaky seals, droopy springs, and rusted frame most ebay rovers come with--otherwise I'll just sit here kicking myself :eek:

rickv100
07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Unless you can have it inspected I would stick with what you have. You are already aware of the faults versus starting all over again from zero.

Rick

jac04
07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Remorse? Perhaps a little hindsight as well? It comes with almost every project. You just need to fight through that feeling & stay on track with your project, knowing it will turn out exactly the way you want it to. :thumb-up:

mongoswede
07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
a friend of mine told me yesterday: " it took us about 2 years to do 90% of the work and another 2 years to do the last 10%" ....this was in restoring a mustang fastback. We both agreed it was less fun to do all the annoying stuff at the end of a project. My rover remorse is that I didnt just buy the galvy frame to begin with...I saved a lot of pocket money buy lost a lot of free time :sly:

Cutter
07-19-2011, 03:34 PM
eh its 24v and RHD, I personally would look at a rover if had one of those, but not both, MHO. Think of the fun you are having on yours....

JimCT
07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Least you forget LR's were designed to be RHD, easier to work on. And the 24V system gives you a shielded, waterproofed robust electrical system, running less amps through the wiring. Not all bad

I Leak Oil
07-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Buy it. Problem solved!:)

Cutter
07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Least you forget LR's were designed to be RHD, easier to work on. And the 24V system gives you a shielded, waterproofed robust electrical system, running less amps through the wiring. Not all bad

I can see the merit in the first claim, though I don't think those benefits outweigh the inconvenience of being on the wrong side of the car for all of the US infrastructure unless you deliver mail. Not having the exhaust under your ass is also a nice benefit, but I'd rather suffer than never get the SO in the truck because of the heat. But as waterproof and robust as it may be, 24v is a PITA when everything in the world is 12v.

Regardless that is a nice truck, looks to be in great shape and I will admit visiting its ebay page on more than one occasion prior to this thread.

JimCT
07-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Actually construction equipment, boats and of course all the military stuff is 24V, not hard to find really. And try changing the MC of a LHD vs a RHD truck!

LaneRover
07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
While we are speaking of Rover Remorse - what would a Rover Remora be?

The guys that hang around the shop drinking some of the beer but are jjjuuuuussstttttt helpful enough that you don't kick them out?

cedryck
07-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Driving right hand drive is different and funny. When my 65 pound Stafforshire Terrier wears the front seat, kids think he is driving, I actually got pulled over here in town by a State trooper in training because he thoughty my daughter was steering my 88. He then realized he pulled over a RHD vehicle, and promptly turned on his heal and with a red face got back into the cruiser.

meatblanket
07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I can only hope that it comes with the leaky seals, droopy springs, and rusted frame most ebay rovers come with--otherwise I'll just sit here kicking myself :eek:

The convoy light doesn't work. That right there tells me it must have other issues.:D