PDA

View Full Version : SIII problems now

siii8873
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
well now I have an issue with my SIII gearbox. I have had an inkling for a while something was going amiss but ignored it long enough for ot to be a problem for sure. The gearbox has a rattling sound which is the loudest when up shifting and under a load at lower RPMs. Bearings? have never done a vehicle gearbox rebuild but no better time than the present!
Looks like I have a few things to work on. I always said I needed two of these things so I could rely on them. maybe the correct number is three or four (need to get the bugeye done but hard to do when working on the two running (loose use of term) ones.

jac04
07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Bob - Are you sure it's a g-box issue? At certain vibration frequencies you can get some funky noises from things like the exhaust. Worth a thorough look around before tearing into the box.

john connelly
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
i would also check the exhaust system. look at the connection to the manafold. same thing happened to me. good luck

73series88
07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
is it whinney sounding or actual rattling?
mine get pretty whinney when its low on fluid
especially under load and down shifting.
just a thought
aaron

cedryck
07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
I had an issue of noise upon letting off in first, the noise was coming from gearbox area, ended up to be flywheel bushing , a bronze bush inside of center of flywheel, not so bad to replace. cheers.

siii8873
08-21-2011, 02:18 PM
I finally got back to working on the SIII. I pulled the transfer case and then gearbox. Pulled the bell housing. Nothing obviously wrong that I can tell. Front end bearings all feel smooth. The only thing that looks odd are nicks in the flywheel housing like something was flying around in there. The flywheel has a few nicks in it also. I mistakenly did not check the oil that I removed for foreign objects. Did not find anything in bell housing area where marks are.
This truck did have it's engine changed about 6 months ago (started knocking so put project rover engine in). When that was done the flywheel was found to be loose. I didn't do the work and not sure if these marks were there before.
Kind of stumped on what the next step is.