PDA

View Full Version : Roof question.....

knac1234
07-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Split up my questions......

While in Colorado Springs today, I was checking up on the alpine spare roof I had blasted. Completely straight but for one ding :)

The standard roof on mine has (on the very back) 2 holes on the left and 2 holes on the right through which bolts run to presumably connect it to the side panels. You can see the right 2 bolts I am referring to next to that fake cell phone antenna (now gone!!).

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/Hillman%20Imp%20Restoration/rover3.jpg

Well, the replacement alpine roof has 4 holes on each side (upper row of 2 and lower row of 2), and the lower row of 2 are not in exactly the same position as the holes referred to on my standard roof. You can see the set of 4 holes on either side below.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/knac1234/ROVER%20PARTS/100_3945-1.jpg

I had assumed I could just swap the roofs, but as the holes are in different locations, does anyone know if this will present a problem to attach the alpine roof to the existing side panels (if that is what these holes/bolts do)?? If so, could I weld a plate behind the 4 holes (which would be covered by the interior trim panel), and simply redrill holes? Hopefully that is not necessary and there is adjustment on how it connects to the side panels so the existing holes line up.

Hope this makes sense!!

Thanks,
Julian

leafsprung
07-21-2011, 05:19 PM
all of those holes are not stock and therefore not important

Andrew IIA
07-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Agreed. No holes of any kind in that/those location(s) on the trop. top of my '63 88".

knac1234
07-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Ike & Andrew,

Thanks for the insight. So should I assume the holes on my existing standard roof also are non-original and have nothing to do with the fixing of the roof to the panels/rest of the truck?

Cheers,
Julian

Terrys
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Safe assumption.
The NAS step bumper/hitch reciever looks good. Never saw one installed on a series. As I have a spare, I may mount it on the S3. Cures the spare tire interference issue.

Andrew IIA
07-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Ike & Andrew,

Thanks for the insight. So should I assume the holes on my existing standard roof also are non-original

Yes, definitely.

knac1234
07-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Andrew--thanks.

Terry--thanks. I like the look too.....was on there when I purchased it!! I believe it was installed two owners ago--an army captain who had it at one point in Colorado Springs, where it resides yet again!

Looks like I'll have someone weld a plate behind those holes then and fill them up.

Regards,

Julian

Terrys
07-22-2011, 07:22 AM
That would be the proper way, or hold a little bronze wool against the inside while you slap some bondo over them. Me, I take the cheap and easy route; couple of carriage bolts.

Andrew IIA
07-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Me, I take the cheap and easy route; couple of carriage bolts.
I would do something like that or maybe insert some of those little rubber blanking plugs.

o2batsea
07-22-2011, 07:51 AM
On the inside, lightly sand with 150 aluminum oxide paper to bare metal. Put some clear packing tape on the outside over the holes. Back inside, smear some JB Weld over the hole. Not too thick and at least a 1/4 inch overlapping the hole's edge. After the JB weld kicks you can peel off the packing tape and you'll have an almost finished surface on the outside. It'll just need a quick wet sand to bring it perfectly flush.
Since the glob of epoxy inside is in an inconspicuous location it will be difficult to see that there were ever holes there.

knac1234
07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
All good ideas.

You know, it occured to me that even if these holes do nothing to structurally hold the roof to the panels/body, I hooked speaker brackets to the protruding bolt ends on either side in my current standard roof. I fitted a pair of Boss box speakers in those corners that look great and fit perfectly, so maybe at least 2 holes may end up salvaged!!!

Julian

Andrew IIA
07-22-2011, 10:24 AM
All good ideas.

You know, it occured to me that even if these holes do nothing to structurally hold the roof to the panels/body, I hooked speaker brackets to the protruding bolt ends on either side in my current standard roof. I fitted a pair of Boss box speakers in those corners that look great and fit perfectly, so maybe at least 2 holes may end up salvaged!!!

Julian
The holes are in a spot often used to mount an exterior work/reverse lamp. I have a 12V fan mounted there (interior).