PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what I am going to do with it

roverjohn
07-24-2011, 03:00 PM
I just picked up a 1957 Series 1 88" locally. Overall it is in great shape and I have not found any rust. It is originally from Nevada but it has not been registered since 1986. It appears to be complete for the most part. It has been sitting so long that the gasoline has turned into tar.

I spent all day yesterday cleaning it out. It was full of dirt and grime and just nasty. Some of the red paint is coming off and a cool dark green color is underneath. I think this dark green is the original color.

Also, it has a 1972 Ford 2.0L Pinto engine in it. I am a little bummed that it is not all original but so be it. I am not even sure if I want to get the Pinto engine running or not. I can turn it over and the oil looks good.

Any thoughts?

amcordo
07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Chicks dig a pink rover.

Terrys
07-24-2011, 03:36 PM
That's a pretty cool find. Too bad about the engine, but the 1600 cross-flow is a good engine. Loose that front bumper.

printjunky
07-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Ha! I love it like it is. Now THAT'S patina! I'd get it running and drive it. But I'm not much of a purist.

Andrew IIA
07-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Its a beauty ! Enjoy :thumb-up:

LaneRover
07-24-2011, 04:47 PM
That's a pretty cool find. Too bad about the engine, but the 1600 cross-flow is a good engine. Loose that front bumper.

Losing that front bumper will probably raise the top speed, lighten the steering and knock a few seconds from your 0-60 speed! (if it gets to 60)

rwollschlager
07-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Any thoughts?

sell it to me :D

or just get it running, the truck will tell you what it needs from there

leafsprung
07-24-2011, 10:35 PM
trade you a project cruiser :thumb-up:

czenkov
07-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Hmm, as I recall it had a useless bald tire that is now off the bonnet now so this is post-car wash? I was kid of hoping that the water would wash that brushed on paint off of it.

I say leave the front bumper - it is part of its history. And If you trade it to Ike hold out for the 5 door he has (had?) on LRE.

roverjohn
07-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Hmm, as I recall it had a useless bald tire that is now off the bonnet now so this is post-car wash? I was kid of hoping that the water would wash that brushed on paint off of it.

I say leave the front bumper - it is part of its history. And If you trade it to Ike hold out for the 5 door he has (had?) on LRE.
Spare is off and in the back. A lot of the red paint on the inside flaked off really easily. It took no effort at all. The outside paint is a different story. I have not pressure washed it yet but I think some of it might come off with a good high pressure washer. My garden hose took off most of the paint on the galvinizing.

Series 1 owners: Are brakes and axle parts readily available? I know the 1's are quite different than the Series 2+

I think I might see if the 2.0L Pinto engine runs and go from there. If it does, I may throw some money into the brakes and get it running/driving.

leafsprung
07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Most of the SII-SIIA-SIII brake stuff will interchange. Dont mess with that silly old rover . . .stick with nice comfortable familiar land cruisers:D

westcoastkevin
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Series 1 owners: Are brakes and axle parts readily available? I know the 1's are quite different than the Series 2+

Hi. Congrats. I have a 1951 and I just bought new brake parts for it. It will depend a little on what you have. It is all available. Some bits you will end up buying from England. Your master cylinder might be tired. You can get a kit, but you might need it resleeved. Just pull the brakes and take a look at what you have. The flex lines should be replaced for safety for sure.

73series88
07-30-2011, 12:07 PM
nice series 1
aaron

roverjohn
07-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Most of the SII-SIIA-SIII brake stuff will interchange. Dont mess with that silly old rover . . .stick with nice comfortable familiar land cruisers:D
Ike, you know me too well! Don't make me put Toyota parts in this thing! I know it is a total sacrilege but it already has a Ford engine in it anyways. Don't shun me.

This is pretty cool and has me thinking:

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/index.html

I must have this thing for pink vintage 4WD's. Here is my FJ45:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/238309-rotm-september.html

leafsprung
07-31-2011, 10:37 AM
I just sold my swb 45 rc.(dont tell anyone though):D I have a line on a sweet stash of fj parts if you know anyone interested. As for the series one, they are pretty killer:

roverjohn
07-31-2011, 11:51 AM
I just sold my swb 45 rc.(dont tell anyone though):D I have a line on a sweet stash of fj parts if you know anyone interested. As for the series one, they are pretty killer:
I kick myself on a daily basis for selling my 107" pickup. Oh well, it went to a good home. I was actually looking for a 109 SW to put a Toyota 3B in with FJ62 axles when I stumbled across this Series 1 88".

That is a sweet picture of a Series 1 it is inspiring me to keep this thing the way it is; mostly original except for the Pinto engine. If you think I can still get parts for the brakes, axles, etc, then I may just get the thing running with the Pinto engine and drive it. I just want it for a little summer runaround anyways.

Post a pic of your 45 that you just sold. I am glad you sold it otherwise, I would have been tempted. If you know of any other 45's, our head mechanic is looking for one. He has a really nice 40 that he needs to sell and his next project will be a 45 pickup. He just needs a roller.

You called me once about some Cruiser parts....same stash? Let's talk.

LaneRover
07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I concur with fix it enough to drive it safely as is. Then you will be able to decide what you REALLY want to do with it.

Though I like the 'history' that is included with the Rover that bumper could easily become a heavy duty workbench in the garage and still be part of your rover history!

roverjohn
08-21-2011, 12:37 PM
I need a key for my 1957 Series 1 88 as it did not come with one. I am thinking of taking the ignition switch to a locksmith to see if they can make a key. Anyone know what key blank will work? Anyone done this before?

Once I get a key, I will see if the old Pinto engine will fire.

LaneRover
08-21-2011, 03:47 PM
I think you can buy key blanks from our hosts - but a good locksmith should be able to tell you who to go to IF he doesn't have it himself.

rejeep
08-21-2011, 04:02 PM
who needs a key?
3 ft section of 8 ga. wire and your all set

SafeAirOne
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Might try any key you have lying around that'll fit in the slot. My house key starts my 109.