PDA

View Full Version : Timing new cam/timing gear confirmation

printjunky
07-24-2011, 04:33 PM
As the Saga continues ... I put in a new cam and new cam timing gear, I'm about to start buttoning up the rest of the timing and front cover. Then get the rollers/tappets/lifters back in.

I got the crank at #1TDC and the cam set. The new timing gear does not have the stamped markings for doing the initial timing, but I used my old (original) gear as reference, so I'm fairly certain I'm good, but as I move forward, is there any way to confirm that I have the initial timing setup correct? I'd hate to get the motor all the way back in and everything hooked back up and still not have a running Rover.

THX!

Apis Mellifera
07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
The best way is to use a dial indicator on the #1 intake and a degree wheel. The original gear set may or may not be accurate, but was OK for Rover and it's probably OK now. The marks just may not be optimal. I'm assuming that you lined things up with the old gear set, pulled them off, and put the new set on without moving the crank or cam?

Generally an engine will run if the cam is off a tooth or two, but can make a huge difference in the powerband. I was a single tooth off when I changed the belt in my Honda Accord and the result was that it was gutless below 3000 (more gutless than usual).

SafeAirOne
07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I was a tooth off on my timing once on my 2.5 diesel. Ever since then I start it (breifly) to make sure everything is OK before replacing the timing cover, water pump radiator and coolant.

bkreutz
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be suspicious of an unmarked gear. (maybe that's where the extra cost for a "genuine" comes in:rolleyes:)

Sputnicker
07-24-2011, 11:47 PM
I recommend you carefully follow the procedure in the green bible. It involves a dial indicator on the #1 exhaust valve and a corresponding mark on the flywheel ring gear. Its a little tricky, but could save you a lot of frustration.

printjunky
07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I was mistaken, the new gear did have a marking, it was obscured by some schmutz. I didn't see it until after I had it set, and it confirmed the setup I had already checked against the original gear. I am not going to be able to degree the cam, but I suspect it is correct. We'll see in a few days.