PDA

View Full Version : pinion oil seal

rejeep
07-24-2011, 06:53 PM
the pinion oil seal on my 109 is leaking again..
I did this repair last year and here we are again..

anything is might have done wrong.. I have done hundreds of oil seals in my life so I cant imagine i messed anything up.. any tips or tricks..

Salisbury rear end..

how do i ensure I dont screw up the pinion crush sleeve?

rejeep
07-25-2011, 07:20 AM
i have read some old posts about the diff flange..
is there a kit available for the seal, flange, but etc.. I have seen some ove rin UK..

Firemanshort
07-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I just replaced my front pinion oil seal. It leaks, still. This was my first one.

Is the pinion flange supposed to have a groove in it or is that from wear?

RN has sleeves and pinions but "ouch" they are a bit dear.

bkreutz
07-25-2011, 02:25 PM
I just replaced my front pinion oil seal. It leaks, still. This was my first one.

Is the pinion flange supposed to have a groove in it or is that from wear?

RN has sleeves and pinions but "ouch" they are a bit dear.

Groove would be from wear, "speedi sleeves" were developed for just this purpose. Yes they are somewhat expensive, but it's relative to the cost of the part being repaired. (last time I bought one it was about $45 at the local bearing supplier. I don't know what RN charges for them, haven't looked).

jac04
07-25-2011, 03:13 PM
I have had a brand new genuine pinion flange & oil seal leak. Installed a speedi-sleeve and that took care of the problem. A speedi-sleeve should run you about $10 from a local bearing supply company or an auto parts house.

More info here:
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9598&highlight=speedi-sleeve

rejeep
07-27-2011, 08:37 AM
is that SKF part number for the Salisbury axle?

what I don’t think I am clear on is why is I replaced the flange and seal would I need a sleeve, or a sleeve fix the problem better?

only time I have ever used a sleeve is where the hard part was unavailable or too expensive to replace..

I Leak Oil
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
FWIW, I've never had good luck with using speedi-sleeves in the long term. I just replace the flange now.

Does anyone have a cross reference for a double lip seal?

Donnie
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
the pinion oil seal on my 109 is leaking again..
I did this repair last year and here we are again..

anything is might have done wrong.. I have done hundreds of oil seals in my life so I cant imagine i messed anything up.. any tips or tricks..

Salisbury rear end..

how do i ensure I dont screw up the pinion crush sleeve?
Check your yoke for any grooving, if it is not grooved U do not need to sleeve it.
Also if you are using a hammer to install the seal W/O a seal installer, I would apply a few dabs of petroleum jelly in the garter spring area to keep the spring from jumping out. Some seal mfgs. cover this by bringing the seal lip out over the spring , others do not...I have seen these spring out of the seal often in other applications..donnie

jac04
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
is that SKF part number for the Salisbury axle?

what I don’t think I am clear on is why is I replaced the flange and seal would I need a sleeve, or a sleeve fix the problem better?

only time I have ever used a sleeve is where the hard part was unavailable or too expensive to replace..
No, it's for the Rover diff.
I thought the same thing. New Genuine flange & seal and it leaked. I even checked the fit of the seal on the flange before installation. The seal was properly installed & greased at installation. Took everything apart. Checked the flange and it looked like it had a very good surface finish, but I found one very faint scratch that went diagonally across the seal area, which allowed it to 'pump' oil past the seal. It was a very minute scratch and couldn't believe that it could cause the problem, but I installed the Speedi-Sleeve and it has been fine since.

scottlong
07-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I have yet to pull a rover flange, but if its built like most the runout of the seal surface is dependent on the spline to spline interface. Try indicating the seal surface, you might find it needs to be 'clocked' to minimize runout.

fubog
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't see it having been mentioned but it is also very common for the oil to migrate between the splines on the pinion shaft/flange & leak out under the nut/washer.
Glen in Fla
"66 88
81 3.5 RR
P6
and etc lbc