PDA

View Full Version : Front drive shaft question

john connelly
07-28-2011, 08:35 AM
1972 series 3 - 88. Question - should the front drive shaft turn even though 4 wheel drive has not been selected (high range) hubs not locked. The pin for the 4 wheel drive selector has broken off in the gear box. going to take the floor pan out this weekend and see if i can remove without taking the whole case apart. Is this common for my 'Rig. Any thoughts would be helpfull. thanks

73series88
07-30-2011, 11:46 AM
if the hubs arent locked
and 4 wheel isnt engaged i would assume it would turn
i cant remember must be all that carbon monoxide im sucking in
aaron

jac04
07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
No, the front driveshaft will not turn with the front hubs unlocked and the vehicle in 2WD.

bkreutz
07-30-2011, 01:16 PM
I can see where confusion originates in this question. If the hubs are unlocked and the transfer in 2wd, you should be able to turn the driveshaft with your hand, but the driveshaft shouldn't turn while driving (it's a matter of perspective:D)

john connelly
08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
thank you for your answers. I guess the 4 wheel drive pin has broken in the gear box keeps the front drive shaft engaged. how to get that one out?? Any hints would be great. john

daveb
08-01-2011, 11:34 AM
which pin? what happened exactly?

thank you for your answers. I guess the 4 wheel drive pin has broken in the gear box keeps the front drive shaft engaged. how to get that one out?? Any hints would be great. john

LaneRover
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM

In the gear box or in the transfer case? Nothing in the gear box should effect the 4 wheel drive.

john connelly
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
It is the right angle selector pin that engages 4 wheel drive in high range.

john connelly
11-24-2011, 05:59 AM
since its turkey day- figured you boarded Landi owners (me included) would be on the forum seeking knowledge or giving it. Any additional info on this topic would be helpfull. thanks john

SafeAirOne
11-24-2011, 06:42 AM
It is the right angle selector pin that engages 4 wheel drive in high range.

You'll need to remove the front output housing.

Good pics of the internals of the front output housing here: http://1960landroverrestoration.blogspot.com/2011/04/transfer-case.html

The 4 high pin engages the hole in the short pivot shaft.

Kind of unusual for the pin to be broken. Are you sure? Did you remove the pivot and withdraw the pin to check first? On the site above, the guy indicates that his was stuck in 4wd due to lack of lubrication (presumably where the end of that short pivot shaft fits into the dust cap, causing it to get stuck in the cap).

You might just pull the dust cap off the front and see if any of the selector shafts are jammed up.

TeriAnn
11-24-2011, 09:20 AM
If it were me I'd look closely at the yellow knob linkage first. My philosophy is to start with the easiest to get at and cheapest to replace first then work your way to hardest to get to.

It is likely that your linkage is no working correctly. The pin is activated by a leaver with a special bolt in the middle. Could be your special bolt has gone for a walk about or the bolt/lever junction is gummed out. Could be other missing fixings (obligatory Thanksgiving reference). There is a spring that pulls the L shaped pin up. The spring is located between the yellow knob and a short steel tube with a flare at one end. Could be the spring is broken or just weak. If the short steel tube is missing there is nothing for the spring to push against.

BUT

Before you do anything else. Pull the red knob all the way back towards the back of the truck then forward again. If the yellow knob pops up you are home free. While the red knob is in the low range position, try pulling up on the yellow knob. If it pulls up you either have a spring problem or something is gumming up your linkage.

Good luck and happy thanksgiving

john connelly
11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
thanks for the info. inspection of the linkage has resulted in missing parts????? the L shaped selector pin is not present. When i inspect the hole the pin goes into the transfer case it seems it was sheared off. I tried a magnet with no luck at extracting the remaining pin, you would think the remaining pin would fall into the case, do i have to take the case apart to remove the pin. The four wheel drive only works in low range. thanks gents again for your help.

SafeAirOne
11-25-2011, 06:08 AM
...do i have to take the case apart to remove the pin.

I'd start by removing the dust cap on the front to see if the center pivot shaft will protrude far enough to expose the hole where the pin is broken off. If it doesn't you'll probably need to remove the front wheel drive output housing, as in the pictures previously linked to.

thanks gents again for your help.

AND ladies.