PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 engine swap question. 2l petrol to 2.5na diesel

Christofire
07-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Could anyone tell me if this would be a straight swap out, or would there be many modifications to accommodate the switch? My 2.0l petrol is seized, and I might have a 2.5na diesel to swap. I'll get the 2.0 up and running eventually, as I want to do a full restoration some day. My LR is a 1955 Series 1. 86" wheel base, Lhd. I have the "B" gear box. Also, anybody do veggie oil conversions with the 2.5na?
Thanks in advance!
I'm new to the forum-Chris

meatblanket
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
It is a fairly simple swap, but there are two issues. First is the fan will end up farther forward with the 2.5, so you will probably need to remove the mechanical fan and install an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator.

Second issue is the right side engine mount. While the engine will fit without modifications, you may experience some fouling of the injection pump against the chassis mount on the right side. Fixing this properly requires a bit of cutting and welding, and use of a Defender engine block bracket. This would have to be reversed if you put the 2.0 back in.

With a 2.25 petrol you'd only have the first issue to deal with.

Les Parker
07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
If you want to fit a 2.5 Deisel engine to a Landrover, why not a Series IIa or III, seems a waste of a rarer Series I?

:eek:

meatblanket
07-28-2011, 05:07 PM
If you want to fit a 2.5 Deisel engine to a Landrover, why not a Series IIa or III, seems a waste of a rarer Series I?

:eek:

I agree, a Series 1 really deserves a Tdi. :D

Christofire
07-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much for the tech advice. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for! As for the other comments about engine selection, it comes down to $$$$, unfortunately.
I scored the 55' for a great price with the blown engine. (my initial plans didn't require a gas motor) I was looking for a series 3 to run bio diesel as a daily driver, or electrify as a "green" project. Long story short, I ended up with the Series 1 without REALLY knowing what it was. What was first a lightweight (good looking) aluminum "donor"' vehicle has a soul. Now I can't really bring myself to do anything but restore it to my abilities and wallet. I thought the 2.5 might be a possibility as I might have one within my budget here in Florida. BTW, I totally agree, a TDi would rock!!!
Thanks again guys. I appreciate your input.

LaneRover
07-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Don't think you can bio a 2.5. Where in Florida are you?

Brent

albersj51
07-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Search some of the UK forums. I've read it can be done. Im looking at swapping a 2.5na into my 2a (hint hint meat!), and doing a veggie conversion. The injector pump on the 2.5 didnt like SVO/WVO.the solution I read about was a seperate tank with a heat element and a switch to run the oil. The key was to start on diesel and get the engine warm, then switch to the oil. A few minutes from home switch back to diesel to clear the injector pump of oil so it doesnt cool in the injector and clog it up.

Remember, I have zero experience, this is just from my research on the UK forums.

leafsprung
07-29-2011, 12:44 AM
have done 2.5 swap and mercedes diesel. Both work well, merc justs lasts longer

Jim-ME
07-29-2011, 06:38 AM
When my 2.5 was installed the viscous fan was removed and a non-viscous water pump and fan was installed which was shorter and fit fine. It was strongly recommended that I avoid an electric fan by the person doing the installation if possible, so I did. The right hand motor mount was tweaked but I don't plan on going back to any gas engine. I also used engine mounts for the 2.5NA which were round instead of the series diesel mounts. I run regular diesel so I can't comment of veggie oil.
Jim

SalemRover
07-29-2011, 06:52 AM
When my 2.5 was installed the viscous fan was removed and a non-viscous water pump and fan was installed which was shorter and fit fine. It was strongly recommended that I avoid an electric fan by the person doing the installation if possible, so I did. The right hand motor mount was tweaked but I don't plan on going back to any gas engine. I also used engine mounts for the 2.5NA which were round instead of the series diesel mounts. I run regular diesel so I can't comment of veggie oil.
Jim

Jim, what was the reasoning behind not going electric? I am running an electric fan on my 2.5 so Im curious. To add to the 2.5 debate, if you can source a 15J series (aka Sherpa) you wont need to change the engine mounts at all. It will even come with a paper air filter if you are so inclined. That would keep your S1 pretty intact and no modifications to stuff it in.

leafsprung
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
mechanical fans are more efficient than electric ones

meatblanket
07-29-2011, 10:28 AM
When my 2.5 was installed the viscous fan was removed and a non-viscous water pump and fan was installed which was shorter and fit fine. It was strongly recommended that I avoid an electric fan by the person doing the installation if possible, so I did.

Jim, do you have an 88? The OP has an 86. That 2" difference is what makes it difficult if not impossible to keep the mech fan.

If you have an 86, then I'm going to have to pester you for a picture of your install, so I can figure out how it was done.:D

Christofire
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I think I read the same posts in the UK forum. Two tanks, heater, and switch over en route. Thanks for adding that to the thread. This really is TOO cool!! I'm stoked that I've gotten so many thoughts on this project. Thanks.

Christofire
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Brent,
I'm just east of Orlando, Chuluota/Oviedo area.
Chris

Moose
07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
On my 2.5 NA instal into my 88 we decided to just keep it simple. Removed viscous fan, pulley and all the bits then took the Series fan, opened up a hole for the viscous fan thready bit to poke through, redrilled the four mounting holes, added the Series pulley and presto chango, a mechanical fan what works great and the fan is 1.5 inches off the rad.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt190/wolfe88/DSCN0592.jpg

I was originally going to sell this engine to my buddy who was going to stuff it into his Series 1. His was an 80 inch and there was going to be some serious modifying going on to make it fit. In the end, he sold the truck.

Glad I used the engine instead. I won't be going back to gas.

Brett

Jim-ME
07-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Mine's an 88. Didn't think about the 2" difference between a S1 and S2, Sorry.
Jason, Matt just isn't a big proponent of electric fans and I trusted his recommendation. His Rover with the 2.5 is all mechanical but came to him that way. I do know the I can run an 180 degree thermostat year round and I'm honestly not sure it has ever fully opened except for the trip to Metal Dash last fall when I broke the fan belt.
Jim

SalemRover
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Good info to know. I have been running an electric and it rarely ever needs to turn on, but for simplicity I may poke around Don Flye's barn soon!

-Jason

Jim-ME
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Jason,
In my opinion if your setup ain't broke don't fix it. You certainly tend to see warmer days that I do.
Jim