PDA

View Full Version : Got another old rover and it came with a winch, anyone seen one like it before?

Triumphdaytona2007
07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
hey! i got an old junky rover a couple days ago and it had an old winch mounted to the homemade bumper, its made by loveJoy. it has an electric motor that runs a gearbox, its missing the chain covers, any idea what these are rated for? or if there any good? it looks terrible but it works great so imma clean it up, paint it and put it on my other rover

LaneRover
07-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Sure that wasn't made by Rube Goldberg?

That looks like it was made back when old mechanics used to make their own air compressors out of junk refrigerators.

Looks like a cool old winch - though I think you are right that a cover would be a nice addition.

Triumphdaytona2007
07-30-2011, 03:06 PM
im not sure it might be, the spindle says lovejoy it has a plate on the gear box but cant read it at the moment, i got it taken apart to clean it up and im getting the mount ready for the other rover, i might have to make a chain cover if i cant find an original for it, and also i need a new cable it worked fine on the junk rover we used it to pull it up on the car dolly

stonefox
07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Sure that wasn't made by Rube Goldberg?

That looks like it was made back when old mechanics used to make their own air compressors out of junk refrigerators.

Looks like a cool old winch - though I think you are right that a cover would be a nice addition.
No, Rube made the Whatchacallit 7500lb winch.That is definately the Gizmo 7500 lbs winch,I'm almost certain :D

Donnie
07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
hey! i got an old junky rover a couple days ago and it had an old winch mounted to the homemade bumper, its made by loveJoy. it has an electric motor that runs a gearbox, its missing the chain covers, any idea what these are rated for? or if there any good? it looks terrible but it works great so imma clean it up, paint it and put it on my other rover

Hi,where are U getting the name Lovejoy from? Is there a plate on the starter motor? like Delco-..Is there a tag on the gearbox, on the pillow blocks {bearings)
on the jack shaft.....count the gear teeth, do the math to calculate your pull #'s

Triumphdaytona2007
07-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi,where are U getting the name Lovejoy from? Is there a plate on the starter motor? like Delco-..Is there a tag on the gearbox, on the pillow blocks {bearings)
on the jack shaft.....count the gear teeth, do the math to calculate your pull #'s

hey! lovejoy is on the spindle it says lovejoy chicago IL the gearbox says winfield h smith corp, the sprockets say morse, and the motor says autolite mdw410412v, i thought maybe the winch was homemade but it seems pretty elaborate and well made

4flattires
07-30-2011, 06:44 PM
That'l trim some unsuspecting fingernails.

rickv100
08-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Lovejoy makes power transmission components. I think that the winch is a homemade set up using a right angle gearbox.

Rick

Terrys
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
The worm drive box and spool looks vaguely like a Braden, commonly used on old military trucks.

rickv100
08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
The military Bradens LU4/MU2 are PTO driven.

I googled Winfield H Smith and it appears they made speed reducers.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/winfield-h-smith-arbor-press-209603/

They now go by Winsmith

Rick

Triumphdaytona2007
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
ok cool if its just an old homemade winch i might not put it on the rover then, id hate to need it bad and it fail, i almost have it ready to put on my rover. on the other rover it was welded to the bumper so id like it to be removable on this one, im having second thoughts on it though

SafeAirOne
08-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I dunno...from the pictures, it looks pretty well made. I might make sure all the hardware holding the pillow blocks and drum are up to the task. Probably make it a little more OSHA-compliant too, but it looks like a good setup with a nice worm gear driven drum. Much better than a planetary gear drive, IMO. The only drawback to that setup is the amount of real estate it takes up (and how much frontal area it takes up blocking the airflow to the rad).

Plus, it's one heck of a conversation piece!

Terrys
08-03-2011, 05:07 AM
The military Bradens LU4/MU2 are PTO driven.
Yes,I know. I had a MU2 on my M37. That electric motor, jack shaft and sprocket on the worm drive input shaft is entirely home-brew.
I have a Ramsey PTO driven winch (which is the same gearbox as the 12000 lb electric one) and it is very similar to the OP's (except aluminum)

o2batsea
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I think that's just an old prestolite starter motor, thus the double chain. With a mightier motor you can run it with just a single reduction. Heck with a hydraulic motor you can drive it direct. Anyways, looks like it's not very high capacity, so if it were me, I would put on the truck something less whack.