PDA

View Full Version : Piston Rings 73 Series III 2.25L

bear7343
07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Received new piston rings recently to rebuild a second motor that I am putting into the landy temporarily while I rebuild the original. The rings that showed up are a different configuration than the ones i pulled out. From top to bottom there are still three locations on the piston to install the rings. The two at the top are clear, however, the bottom appears to consist of a funny crimped ring, a main ring that is groved for oil I believe, and two locking rings. I believe the order for the bottom slot is as follows:

Funny crimped ring installed into the depression in the piston.
Install bottom locking ring
Install larger groved ring above the bottom locking ring and around the funny crimped ring
Install locking ring.

Is this correct? Why are the rings different? Incidentally this is a .030 set.

o2batsea
07-31-2011, 11:53 AM
The top two rings are compression rings and the bottom is the oil scraper ring. Usually there will be a dimple or the word "top" etched on the ring so you know which way it goes. In addition the gaps in the rings should be spaced about a third ways apart on the piston.
The oil scraper ring holds oil in the groove so as to apply a thin layer of oil to the walls of the bore. That way as the piston moves up and down none of the parts actually come in contact with the sides.

bear7343
07-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I will amend my question. The scrubber ring appears to be three rings and a crimped ring. Since BritPart was kind enough to include no instructions and it is a different style of ring then my previous set I removed I don't know how to install the ring. The Scrubber Ring Assembly, appears to consist of a thick ring (the scrubber ring itself I presume), two thin rings (which I previously identified as locking rings) and a crimped up ring which is flat. How do all these components get assembled into the scrubber ring groove?

SafeAirOne
07-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Oil control rings come in MANY different forms. Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? It'd be much easier to assist you if we had a better understanding of your parts.

Some ring types are shown here (http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Master_Catalog_Pdfs/PistonRingTypes.pdf).