PDA

View Full Version : Fuse Question.

TedW
07-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Is there a Buss or equivalent substitute for the Lucas 17A continuous/35A Blow fuse?

I have a short somewhere and am blowing fuses like mad. Gotta buy in bulk until I find the problem - think its my backup lights. Had everything taken off for a repaint and now have the short after hooking stuff back up. Everything else lights up - just no backup lights.

Thanks in advance - Ted

bkreutz
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
What I do to diagnose things like this is remove the fuse, hook one lead of an ohmmeter to the fuseholder and the other lead to a ground. A dead short will show up as continuity, then I poke around until the continuity goes away(I've found the short). Lot cheaper than replacing a bunch of fuses.

Billy5
07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
As someone who is going through an electrical whirlwind, ( though getting to the end of it), I would not under any circumstances put a larger fuse than what is specified. 35 amp is a rather big fuse to start with. I am replacing mine ( in the near future) with a marine grade, enclosed fuse/ power distribution bar, with inline fuses on the constant hot leads. Labeled of course. According to my diagram for a 1969 series US Federal Standard Negative Earth ( this made a big difference by the way), there is a back up light switch#38. This could be an issue.

SafeAirOne
07-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Is there a Buss or equivalent substitute for the Lucas 17A continuous/35A Blow fuse?

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/fuses.html

TedW
08-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks to all responders for help and advice.

Ted

Lord Icon
08-01-2011, 05:23 PM
My unimog had breakers. It was the best idea I have ever seen for an off road truck. I have found that boat and marine shops sell re set able breakers in almost any size . Never have to replace a fuse again.

:thumb-up:

Billy5
08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I work in a marina. They do come in all sizes. Quite handy. When they pop, a little lever pops down. All you have to do is push back up in place to reset. I am considering these on my 2a. They dont take a lot of room. We use them all over on a boat. Pricey, yes, but like you said never have to change a fuse again, and get the same if not better, protection.

TedW
08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Dumba$$ move on my part. Had reverse lights plugged in backwards.:o

LaneRover
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Dumba$$ move on my part. Had reverse lights plugged in backwards.:o

DOH!

TedW
08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
DOH!

That's MISTER DOH to you, buddy.:D