PDA

View Full Version : K & N Filters

Les Parker
05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Just fitted a new K & N filter to my 95 Def 90, BIG improvement.
Thought you all would like to know.

TSR53
05-10-2006, 02:19 PM

Yes, when I fitted the K&N replacement filter to my '94 Defender 90 NAS I removed the clipped on trumpet air intake and noticed a huge improvement in throttle response on all rmps. Very nice. Petrol mpgs improved a bit as well. The biggest test was pulling a 1,280lb pop-up camper and fully laden up the backside of Hwy 70 over and past Vail, CO. Worked like a champ :thumb-up:.

Les Parker
05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Great!! Good to hear that others have had such a positive improvement by fitting an easy performance enhancement. Keep Rovering!!:D

Mike Koch
05-11-2006, 10:08 AM
K&N filters are great, but don't forget to service them(and let them dry afterwards as to not mess with your V8 EFI airflow sensor).

The Rovers North part number for the service kit is: RNF145

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2491-service-kit-k-n-filter.aspx

Mike

Erik B
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
you can wash them in hot water, then use compressed air to dry them..:thumb-up:

Mike Koch
05-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Looking at the K&N website FAQ(http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm (http://http//www.knfilters.com/faq.htm)), using compressed air to dry the filter is not recommended, neither is running one without oiling it first.

Mike

Rob S
05-17-2006, 11:28 AM
I have one currently installed in my 94 D-90 (#287 of 1943), and have noticed a nice improvement in HP as well as mileage. Yes, cleaning the filter is very important, good point Mike.

kellymoe
10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
I rarely clean mine. The dirtier mine gets the better the filtration is what I have found. I have not noticed any reduction in power with a dirty K&N. I clean it about twice a year.

TSR53
10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I rarely clean mine. The dirtier mine gets the better the filtration is what I have found. I have not noticed any reduction in power with a dirty K&N. I clean it about twice a year.

Good call, yes leaving more 'collected dirt' does add to filtration effects. I do the same with my Audi //S6. This has the turbocharged 20v 5cyl and in some instances TOO much K&N oil is a bad thing = ruined hot wire MAF sensors. Just go easy when cleaning and re-oiling, it only needs a little bit.

a109
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM

Advice: keep a paper filter to use in dusty conditions. K&N filters are great for some added performance in clear air environments but at a cost to the filtering ability needed in harsh conditions. I found this to my cost.

John

Leslie
10-31-2006, 11:01 AM
K&N was designed for track use. If you're on pavement, with a carburetor, it'd be a good way to go. If you're in dusty conditions, or using a vehicle with a hot-wire MAF, it may have unintended negative effects.

Just be educated about the give and take of any changes you may contemplate.

BarryO
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Advice: keep a paper filter to use in dusty conditions. K&N filters are great for some added performance in clear air environments but at a cost to the filtering ability needed in harsh conditions. I found this to my cost.I've had the same concerns. 'might be fine for the city folks, but you should see the stuff I shake out of my air filter in the summer, from all the driving on dusty unpaved roads that I do. I've always been leery of "free flowing" air filters as a result. Engineering-wise, there's no free lunch; if the filter lets more air through, it's either got to be alot bigger, or let more dust through as well.

nosivad_bor
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I have to agree , seems like saying "huge improvement" from an air filter should imply better filtration. when in fact it meant less....

I've had the same concerns. 'might be fine for the city folks, but you should see the stuff I shake out of my air filter in the summer, from all the driving on dusty unpaved roads that I do. I've always been leery of "free flowing" air filters as a result. Engineering-wise, there's no free lunch; if the filter lets more air through, it's either got to be alot bigger, or let more dust through as well.

thewap
11-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Running a snorkel helps with dust, and any filter.:thumb-up:

a109
11-16-2006, 07:38 AM
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

This is report on lab testing of a selection of air filters. K&N doesn't fare well.

John

landrover77
06-08-2007, 02:44 PM
This test seems to me was all about boosting the AC Delco
brand and knocking down the K&N brand.

Plus there are no reports on who did the testing
it says that it was unbiased. However, most legit tests will
post some semblance of who they are.

Dont believe everything you read - I think K&N are good
filters for most driving conditions (at the very least).

-cheers

msggunny
06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I ordered a K&N from RN way back in 02 for my 91 Disco V8. It too made a huge improvment in MPG and HP. Plus taking the horn off made the incoming air make a lot more noise and sounded cool!

Best bet is to use the K&N for every day driving and change it out with a paper filter for dusty trails.

Or even better get a precleaner wrap for it, if it will fit in the air box.

As stated before a snorkle will help to get it up out of the dust, maybe even a 2nd filter on top to pre-filter it.

I dont have to worry too much about dust here, but in Uganda 90% of the roads were muram (packed red clay) and got quite dusty in the dry season. I checked my filter often but didnt see any caking of red mud on it or any in the air tube either. Hopefully for the guy who bought it off me the cylinders didnt get scored too badly if dust did get by.

a109
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Plus there are no reports on who did the testing
it says that it was unbiased. However, most legit tests will
post some semblance of who they are.

-cheers

From the link
" This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Testand Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine). Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Ken an employee of Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter). Ken, also a Diesel enthusiast and owner of a Ford Power Stroke Diesel, shared Arlen’s interest in performing an accurate unbiased test of different types and brands of diesel engine air filters. The filters used in the test were purchased retail and donated by Arlen and other individual Duramax Diesel owners. The detailed reports from the test have been compiled and are presented in the following pages. The final pages of this report present the interesting story how and why Arlen organized the test"

John