PDA

View Full Version : Modified Cylinder Head?? Help!

akrvr
08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I bought a 1974 Series III cylinder head to put on my 65 ExMod. The cylinder head had been reworked at some point. It has hardened seats and the intake and exhaust valves are different stem sizes. The exhaust valves have a 2 piece valve spring cap. The inner part is called a rotator which makes the valve rotate slightly with each actuation. This is not stock. I have one broken rotator. Is anyone familiar with this setup. I would love to find just the retainer somewhere with changing the springs/retainers. My next option is to get the stock valves, springs, retainers, guides and rebuild the head to stock again but it is a low miles heads and I don't want to do that unless it is the last resort. Thanks for your help in advance!

Terrys
08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm not familiar with the valve keeper arrangement you have but there have been many types out there, usually found on high performance engines. My concern would be if it's a low mileage head and one has already failed, what's to say others won't also fail? If it were me, I'd re guide it with stock diameters, and valves, grind and lap them in and be done with it. The original design has work for years and many miles, so it can't be all bad.

akrvr
08-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will do just that!