PDA

View Full Version : Rear door stay.....and bonnet lid.....

knac1234
08-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has made such adjustments:

The rear (safari?) door on my 88 swings open all the way.....so far that it can (and did at one point) hit and crack my rare Lucas directional lens :eek:

So, has anyone done something to prevent the door from moving any farther back than, say maybe, a 90 angle? Something to lock it in place would be nice too (when loading groceries for example in a parking lot at an angle, the door keeps slamming back on me!).

Bonnet---with the wheel on top, I noticed that when opening the bonnet it leans to the right (the side WITHOUT the stay). I may have an extra stay. Would it make any sense to fit it to the other side to prevent this lean (and I would assume stress on the bonnet when open)??

Cheers,
Julian

Andrew IIA
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
My rear station wagon door has a stay; not sure if it was standard across all models. For keeping rear door open: bungee :thumb-up:

knac1234
08-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Andrew,

Mine has that stay too (and the bungee cord)!!!!!

That stay doesn't seem to do much....still allows the door to open farther than you have pictured. But I will be getting cages for my rear lamps to help!

Nice rig! Rack and alpine top.....that's where mine is heading!

Julian

Andrew IIA
08-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Andrew,

Mine has that stay too (and the bungee cord)!!!!!

That stay doesn't seem to do much....still allows the door to open farther than you have pictured. But I will be getting cages for my rear lamps to help!

Nice rig! Rack and alpine top.....that's where mine is heading!

Julian
Thanks. The stays can/do get bent-mangled; new ones are available I think. The lamp cages have saved my lenses numerous times. :)

SafeAirOne
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Mercedesrover has a good setup with a defender rear door stop installed on his 109. IIRC, it has a latch mechanism to keep the door open.

knac1234
08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Mark,

That may be something I'd like to consider.

Any comments on the bonnet idea.....or no point/not possible!?

Julian

rejeep
08-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I thought about it to reduce the stress when open..

but it's a land rover.. the hood is never open...

but really...

I usually take the tire off when I know I will be under there for a while..

to check oil etc I leave it on.. but any work that will require lots of open close or open for a periods of time I take the spare off.

amcordo
08-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I always think of the French Revolution when I'm peeking my head in under the hood with a spare tire on it.

LaneRover
08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I always think of the French Revolution when I'm peeking my head in under the hood with a spare tire on it.

Sacre Bleu!

Andrew IIA
08-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Yes. If i'm going to have my head under the bonnet-with-heavy-spare i add a solid prop-rod as a 'preventer.'

SafeAirOne
08-03-2011, 08:33 AM
As far as using all original parts for a second prop rod, I believe the bottom mounting bracket is made to fit the right side only, so you'd probably have to modify one (or make one) for use on the left side.

knac1234
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Good point Mark.....may stick with the broomstick idea to also assist with preventing my beheading!!

Julian

RoverForm
08-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I usually take the tire off when I know I will be under there for a while..

to check oil etc I leave it on.. but any work that will require lots of open close or open for a periods of time I take the spare off.

this is the best practice as it prevents having to do mods, safer, can easily remove the bonnet often if needed, and reduces stress on the bonnet.

ybt502r
08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Re the door opening issue, I had the same thing with mine of course, though I didn't go so far as to crack the light lense. My spare is on the door, so it was heavy and going to crack the lense at some point. I looked at some options to mount a hydraulic piston like I had on the tailgate of my Cruiser, but I couldn't figure out a clean way to rig it. I did solve the opening problem by getting a fat rubber washer and putting it in the channel so that the door wouldn't open quite so far - and the rubber washer had enough give to it so that the door would gently slow and stop when opening (instead of abruptly hitting the end of the stop).

I use a bungee to hold it open like everyone else.

knac1234
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I did solve the opening problem by getting a fat rubber washer and putting it in the channel so that the door wouldn't open quite so far - and the rubber washer had enough give to it so that the door would gently slow and stop when opening (instead of abruptly hitting the end of the stop).

Like it....will probably go that route!

Julian