PDA

View Full Version : Rover raffle

stonefox
08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
So I searched for that tread on a club Rover raffle from a month or two ago to no avail.Can anybody point me in the right direction.

slorocco
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Solihull Society and the Land Rover National Rally

SafeAirOne
08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
There's also this one, which I suspect you were originally thinking of, Sean:

Original site:
http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/sh...ighlight=build (http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/sh...ighlight=build)

New site:
http://buildarover.com/

amcordo
08-05-2011, 04:25 PM
http://buildarover.com/

Two questions:
1. Does anyone know if this is on the up-and-up?
2. Where is it located? I.e. is it in the states?

I want to enter my friend without him knowing. He just got married and this would be a perfect gift for him and his wife! Plus I'd like to have someone else with a rover here in Columbus.

jp-
08-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I too have similar questions. I emailed the guy and this was the response (my original email below):

HI John,

Please visit:

www.buildarover.com

We are drawing the ticket Sept 167th at the annual club picnic

Time is getting close and we are all anxious to see who wins!

Tom

On Aug 4, 2011, at 1:56 PM, John Poole wrote:

> To: Tom Bache
>
> From:
> John
>
> Message:
> Just curious when the Rover is going to be given away? I see the
> purchase ticket box on your web page, but no contest info?
>
> Also, how much are the tickets?
>

jp-
08-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I sent a follow up email asking him to clarify if the date was the 16th or 17th and also if there were any rules, for instance, do I need to be present to win.

No response...

jp-
08-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Just received:

Hi John,

My bust.

Sept 17th, it is a Saturday.

Don't have to be present to win, all the ticket#s are recorded as many
of the buyers are actually out of state and even from Canada.

Tom

SafeAirOne
08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes...There are recognizable and reputable people associated with/promoting that build-a-rover raffle. The drawing is coming up next month and I think there have been less than 100 tickets sold so far, so there are some pretty good odds as far as lotteries go.

If you need my name and address to put on your raffle ticket, just PM me.:D

amcordo
08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Well that helps some. Still trying to figure out where it is. I don't have any desire to get it if I have to drive it from the West Coast.

SafeAirOne
08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Well that helps some. Still trying to figure out where it is. I don't have any desire to get it if I have to drive it from the West Coast.

You wouldn't drive a $5k-6k Land Rover from the West Coast to Ohio if you could get it for only $100?

The raffle appears to be sponsored by R.O.V.E.R.S (http://roversclub.org/). From the linked site on the buildarover site:

R.O.V.E.R.S. is a Land Rover club (Series Land Rover, Range Rover, Defender, Discovery and Freelander) serving the Mid-Atlantic region (including Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey).

amcordo
08-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Nope! I'm very particular about which areas of the US I visit.

scatterling
08-07-2011, 09:19 AM
OK, to clarify.
The truck is legit, I helped put it together.
It is located in SE Pennsylvania.
There are only 100 tickets being offered so the odds are very good.

siiirhd88
08-07-2011, 11:00 AM

The Build A Rover 88 is about a half hour north from where your 109 was located. South of Philadelphia and north of Baltimore.

Bob

amcordo
08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Alright alright you've convinced me.

Wish me luck: Adam (my friend) had asked me to go to his wedding but I couldn't make it. Hopefully this'll make it up to him and his wife!

stonefox
08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Alright alright you've convinced me.

Wish me luck: Adam (my friend) had asked me to go to his wedding but I couldn't make it. Hopefully this'll make it up to him and his wife!
Jeez Tony, You are a hard sell .I thought they were going to have to throw a babe in the back to get you to actually commit to the raffle :D

amcordo
08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Jeez Tony, You are a hard sell .I thought they were going to have to throw a babe in the back to get you to actually commit to the raffle :D

That was on the table? I need to work on my haggling skills!

amcordo
09-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm crossing my fingers!!

ivarra
09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Here is the thread from our club, it includes some photos of the rover. As you can see, even though I am part of the whole process (I think I painted something like a gear lever :)), I still had similar questions.

http://forum.roversclub.org/forum/showthread.php?2202-Build-A-Rover-New-Information!

The raffle is on Sat at our annual picnic near Kennett Square in PA. If you buy tickets from the buildarover.com website, you just get notification that your product has been shipped. Feels like your money has just gone!

But ... Tom (the organiser) will take a ticket from the roll and mail it to you. Although its this coming Saturday, so you might have to send him a request from the buildarover site to let you know what your ticket number is in advance just so you feel like its all legit.

Ivar

Les Parker
09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Kind of nice if the winner brings it to the All Metal Dash weekend in Petersham, MA. !!:thumb-up:

Terrys
09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Kind of nice if the winner brings it to the All Metal Dash weekend in Petersham, MA. !!:thumb-up:
Be even better if you were there too.

Les Parker
09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, due to some re organising, I'll be there on Friday night and Saturday morning, travelling back Saturday afternoon, so hold some cold 'uns for Friday night.

stonefox
09-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Ivarra,
Is there a way to contact this Tom fella directly or do I have do it threw the other club site? I bought my tickets a few weeks back and have not received them.

ivarra
09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Ivarra,
Is there a way to contact this Tom fella directly or do I have do it threw the other club site? I bought my tickets a few weeks back and have not received them.

Sean, I am contacting folks in the club to try get his number. Will send you a pm if I get it.

amcordo
09-15-2011, 08:33 AM
I bought a ticket and never got a "number" either. Just my receipt.

stonefox
09-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Sooooo.... Who won the truck?

ivarra
09-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Well, it was a bit of an anticlimax.

We had about 30 of our members at the drawing, all ready to dash to the truck once their number was called. But the person who's number was drawn, Dan somebody, is not a member of the club. He wasnt even there. He is a friend of one of the members.

And that was it :(

RoverForm
09-18-2011, 11:52 AM
of course it would turn out that way... is this dan guy even an enthusiast?

SafeAirOne
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Good for Dan! Out of curiosity, how many tickets were sold in the end?

scatterling
09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I think the final total was 103 tickets. Really thought I was going to win!!

amcordo
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Worst $100 I ever spent.

Terrys
09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if it was Dan Chapman.

galen216
09-19-2011, 10:39 AM
The proceeds after costs (about $1000) was donated to the Wounded Warriors charity.

It was not Dan Chapman. :)

crankin
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
The proceeds after costs (about $1000) was donated to the Wounded Warriors charity.

It was not Dan Chapman. :)

I ran in the Atlanta Tough Mudder...which proceeds went to the Wounded Warrior.

JackIIA
09-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Clint - did you get zapped?!! One of my friends ran the one in WI. He was explaining about crawling through the mud amid dangling wires, some of which are electrified. It's a grin and bear it experience according to him, since much like this lottery, it's a matter of luck whether you get juiced or not.

That is a crazy run.

crankin
09-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Clint - did you get zapped?!! One of my friends ran the one in WI. He was explaining about crawling through the mud amid dangling wires, some of which are electrified. It's a grin and bear it experience according to him, since much like this lottery, it's a matter of luck whether you get juiced or not.

That is a crazy run.

Yep...In the picture @ mile 14... It was the very last obstacle. We jumped about 15 feet into a pond and swam about 200 meters climbed up the bank and ran through the electric fences.

JackIIA
09-21-2011, 11:11 PM
damn it!

that is nuts. good for you. the cause was righteous!

Terrys
09-23-2011, 05:32 AM
My daughter ran that one, and is running the one in FL in December.