X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwd509
    1st Gear
    • Aug 2010

Rear wiring harness?

I have decided to perform the limited bulkhead welding repairs without removing it from the frame. It will simplify a few things and complicate others......
    I had planned on replacing the rear harness and feeding it through the frame. With bulkhead in place, access to the forward hole in the frame seems more difficult. Has anyone done this? Are there tricks?

Also, as $ gets tight I wonder if the rear harness really needs replacement? It is old, but not particularly brittle......could this be assessed by a simple continuity test?

Any advice and/or shared priro experience is helpful.
  • leafsprung
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

It is simple tape it securely to the old harness and pull it through the chassis. I have also used a drain snake in a pinch

Comment

• Apis Mellifera
      3rd Gear
      • Apr 2008

A vacuum on one end and a lightweight string fished down the other is what I used. I had to tape up the various other holes to get the air velocity up.
      © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Comment

• TedW
        5th Gear
        • Feb 2007

Rear harnesses can take a lot of abuse after 40-50 years of exposure to road grit.

Mine went "toaster" on me while driving in a heavy rain storm (at night, of course). I could smell the burning plastic all the way up front. The whole mess fused together.

Replace it if you can.

Comment

Working...