View Full Version : speedo no worky

rejeep
08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
i dont know if its chance or fate..
but I did the rear pinion seal and took it out today.. GREAT.. no leaks, no nothing..

new problem.. speedo doesnt work..

now i dont believe in chance.. but what are the chances that the day I touch the rear propshaft I have a problem with the speedo..

when I tap on the gauge while driving i can get it jump and register falsely.. but no constant reading.. Never had a problem with this before..

any direction anybody can point me would be great.. I checked the cable for binding but nothing.. speedo gear housing also looks undisturbed..

Jim-ME
08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd check to make sure you haven't got a broken cable. Detach at the speedometer and either give it a tug or see if you can get it somewhere where you can watch the end and go for a ride. Never worked on a S3 so your cable may not be as easy to get to as mine.
Jim

SafeAirOne
08-05-2011, 02:18 PM
It's not easy to get access to on a SIII. That might be why they use a snap-on attachment to the back of the speedo instead of a screw-on type. The good news is that speedo cables are pretty cheap for the SIII

rejeep
08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
So I can focus my attentions on the cable...

I guess the underlying question is was there any way that jostling the driveshaft could have done anything.. I don't see how it can since it's a fixed yoke\flange....

Now the better question is it possible to remove the speedo cable with a big honkin roverdrive in the way:nono:

Jim-ME
08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't believe that your repair caused your speedometer problem. The Roverdrive will complicate things but I don't believe it will make it impossible. I'd consider getting a screw starter to put the screws that hold your cable to the transfer back in. I found one a big help when I did my cable a while ago.
Jim

bkreutz
08-05-2011, 05:33 PM
So I can focus my attentions on the cable...

I guess the underlying question is was there any way that jostling the driveshaft could have done anything.. I don't see how it can since it's a fixed yoke\flange....

Now the better question is it possible to remove the speedo cable with a big honkin roverdrive in the way:nono:
I think the only way they could be related is if you snagged the cable while backing it up to where you worked on the pinion seal (real answer, no):D

rejeep
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
and it came back to life after sitting for 1 day:sly:

73series88
08-09-2011, 10:14 AM
see rover gods in action
did you knock on some wood or something
aaron

rejeep
08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
no.. just ordered the part..

Rover gnomes must have fixed it overnight...

73series88
08-09-2011, 11:12 AM
good gnomes!!!!!!!!