PDA

View Full Version : Front Seats

Ncrover725
08-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Has any one here done any extended driving in the exmoor "deluxe seats" for a series rover? I am getting ready to do a 1000 mile drive in a series IIa lwb after it's purchase (maine to north carolina) and will be accompanied by my wife. She has been a good sport so I am looking to make her a bit comfy. I appreciate any info you guys might have.

msggunny
08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I would ask first "what is my tolerance for (dis)comfort? "

What do you normally drive?

Honestly, the seats in a long distance drive will be one of many issues you will face.

I have done a long distance ride in my SIII with stockish seats and had no issues. Of course i am also used to sitting in a hummer/tank/military vehicle for long distances with out complaint so that wasnt an issue for me. My wife on the other hand wasnt as comfortable as i was.

I would be more concerned about the heat, if you are driving from Maine (where by the way?) to NC before October the heat will be an issue as well, so will noise, so will speed (or lack thereof), no power steering, no power brakes, crap gas mileage and small tank (if its a petrol)

If you are worried about comfort in any way, i would hire someone to drive it or transport it to you.

Its more of a mind set than anything else.

SafeAirOne
08-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I agree. It's not the stock seats that'll drive you insane--It's the stock gas pedal.

msggunny
08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I agree. It's not the stock seats that'll drive you insane--It's the stock gas pedal.

Yeah, the angle your foot is when you drive one of these takes a bit of conditioning before its "pain-less" Notice i didnt say "pain free".

solihull109
08-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I have cruise control......it's a very specific length of 2x4 that tucks under the ebrake handle and goes to the gas pedal....:thumb-up:

Ncrover725
08-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I am picking up the truck in Belfast, Maine and headed to Fayetteville, Carolina next week. As far as my comfort I am good to go. I have spent the past seven years in a GMV, Hilux, or Defender in Afghanistan. I think this has skewed my opinion on what's tolerable for my wife (that's what she says). I don't think I could allow someone else to drive my first rover home. Isn't that a sin?

leafsprung
08-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I have spent the past seven years in a GMV, Hilux, or Defender in Afghanistan

Hah, you are going to be begging for those comfy mil spec seats :D

LR Max
08-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Buy her this:

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Products/SleepingBags/5003757t_v1_m56577569830995512.jpg

These REALLY help out A LOT. Back when my rover had canvas original ex-MOD seats, I had to have one of these for anything more than just driving to school. Also getting a butt pad with a microwavable insert is :thumb-up: in the winter.

But seriously, I upgraded to decent seats. Bestest upgrade you can do to make your rig more enjoyable. I just wish I had headrests. Increases safety.

east high
08-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I bought a new bottom cushion for my driver seat and it was about two inches taller than the original cushion, which makes sense. If you're a tall dude like me, it darn near made it impossible to see out of the truck. I went back to old beat up boat seat.

I think frequent breaks would do more for your comfort than new seats. You'll be dealing with noise, heat and vibration too.

Ncrover725
08-07-2011, 07:16 AM
I showed my wife all your posts and she is still on board with the 1000 mile adventure. Thanks a bunch for the postings.

LaneRover
08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Ear plugs and don't try to keep up with traffic.

Jim-ME
08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't really have any advice except to stop often, do it in two days, and I really wish you the best on your trip.
Jim

Skeeball
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah that gas pedal brings back memories of when I drove my '68 IIa from Asheville, NC to Northern NY in the late fall a few years back. No door seals to speak of and no heat made for a rather interesting ride. I didnt find the seats to be a major issue.
If you don't drive it back yourself you won't have any stories to tell later.

RoverForm
08-08-2011, 06:45 PM
please take a triple A card, some tools and a camera. can't wait to hear about this in a couple of weeks.

safe trip!

LR Max
08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
X2 on the earplugs or better yet, noise cancelling earphones. Also for a long trip, a 12v cigarette plug is a good thing to have and handy.

I use the noise cancelling earphones in either my MP3 player or phone. Pop the door tops off and go! About as good as its gonna get!

gchinsr
08-09-2011, 03:47 AM
I have an early 110 ambulance, and the seats were replaced at St Johns for series seats as they are more comfortable for the crew then stock 110 seats. These have proven to be very comfortable for a several hundred miles at a time, with a bad back. I recently bought a set of Outlast Defender seats, and will have the bottoms modified to use the series bottom foam for more comfort. It may need a bit of extra material to cover it up, and may not look as nice, but comfort is more important for the long haul.
Greg

Ncrover725
08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Status update: The series IIa 109 has departed linconville, Maine and we are moving south to North Carolina. Greg was an amazing host and we could not have asked for a better previous owner. So far so good and taking in the Maine attractions. We will roll through Boston by noon tomorrow then keep on trucking.

Skeeball
08-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress..L
Rgds,
Steve '64 IIa (in progress)

Ncrover725
08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Made it too just south of mystic, Connecticut. Hoping too make a hard day of tomorrow and hit Salisbury, Maryland. Nightly checks and topping off all fluids each morning appears to be doing the job. About 650 more miles to go.

Skeeball
08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
so far so good sleep well ...