PDA

View Full Version : Removing door tops

Dadevilledisco
08-06-2011, 04:25 AM
IIA tried to remove door tops... Got nuts off bolts but could not free up top to remove. Can I use a small pry bar like a nail puller and slide in between top and door and slowly separate top. Do not want to damage either piece. Suggestions ideas?

THanks

JimCT
08-06-2011, 06:32 AM
IIA tried to remove door tops... Got nuts off bolts but could not free up top to remove. Can I use a small pry bar like a nail puller and slide in between top and door and slowly separate top. Do not want to damage either piece. Suggestions ideas?

THanks

BFH

TedW
08-06-2011, 07:28 AM
BFH

But first turn the door upside down and soak the top studs with PBBlaster or equivalent. Will help mucho.

albersj51
08-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Mine had the same problem. Be careful with the pry bar as it could bend/distort the lower edges, especially if there is some rot inside.

cedryck
08-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, alas, when your seals, (in door tops rot away) that water slips down into the door studs, found this problem when tearing down a 68, 88inch. Never did seperate them, much luck.

east high
08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
BT;DT. You can hope for the best with some PB Blaster and about a month of prayers, or skip that heartache and sawzall the top off, air chisel the rusted studs out and replace the tops with fresh Rocky Mountain door tops like me. :D

fubog
08-07-2011, 07:09 AM
If you absolutely positively have to save them, you can cut a couple doors in the inside panel adjacent to the tubes, and put some heat to them. This, along with a good penetrant douche, will often free them up.
Good luck!
HTH
Glen in Fla

73series88
08-07-2011, 08:10 AM
one side were totally rusted in. had to cut in between the doors and tops. and seperate the rods. drill them out and i just ran long bolts down from the top. it was a pain but i can still use them.
aaron