X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dadevilledisco
    Low Range
    • Aug 2010

Removing door tops

IIA tried to remove door tops... Got nuts off bolts but could not free up top to remove. Can I use a small pry bar like a nail puller and slide in between top and door and slowly separate top. Do not want to damage either piece. Suggestions ideas?

THanks
  • JimCT
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

Door tops

Originally posted by Dadevilledisco
    IIA tried to remove door tops... Got nuts off bolts but could not free up top to remove. Can I use a small pry bar like a nail puller and slide in between top and door and slowly separate top. Do not want to damage either piece. Suggestions ideas?

THanks

BFH
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Comment

• TedW
      5th Gear
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JimCT
      BFH
      But first turn the door upside down and soak the top studs with PBBlaster or equivalent. Will help mucho.

Comment

• albersj51
        5th Gear
        • May 2010

Mine had the same problem. Be careful with the pry bar as it could bend/distort the lower edges, especially if there is some rot inside.

Comment

• cedryck
          5th Gear
          • Sep 2010

Yes, alas, when your seals, (in door tops rot away) that water slips down into the door studs, found this problem when tearing down a 68, 88inch. Never did seperate them, much luck.

Comment

• east high
            3rd Gear
            • Jan 2008

BT;DT. You can hope for the best with some PB Blaster and about a month of prayers, or skip that heartache and sawzall the top off, air chisel the rusted studs out and replace the tops with fresh Rocky Mountain door tops like me.
            '67 sIIa 88

Comment

• fubog
              Low Range
              • Dec 2009

If you absolutely positively have to save them, you can cut a couple doors in the inside panel adjacent to the tubes, and put some heat to them. This, along with a good penetrant douche, will often free them up.
              Good luck!
              HTH
              Glen in Fla

Comment

• 73series88
                5th Gear
                • Oct 2009

one side were totally rusted in. had to cut in between the doors and tops. and seperate the rods. drill them out and i just ran long bolts down from the top. it was a pain but i can still use them.
                aaron
                73 series III 88 2.5 na diesel daily driver
                67 series 2a 88 RHD sold
                88 RRC sold
                60 mga coupe

Comment

Working...