PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floor Painting

crankin
08-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Has anyone painted thier garage floor for protecting against gasoline, antifreeze, motor oil, etc...

I am trying to find the best product and thought that I would check with the gang here.

Ncrover725
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I used one of those epoxy based floor coating kits from lowes and it worked awesome. I followed the prep guidance to a tee and it has held up well.

artpeck
08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
POR 15 makes a kit that a friend used and while I think it is expensive it has help up superbly and he has run a bobcat and forklift on it.

AU_88
08-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I used an epoxy kit from lowes, the only problem I have had is it peeling up with hot tires...

Skeeball
08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
A guy down the street from us had his 2 car garage floor done professionally 5 years ago. They spent 2 days prepping the floor then used an epoxy product as well. NO issues at all with hot tiire pick up or road salts, and around here they use plenty of that stuff. If I were to have this done I would go the same route the floor MUST be cleaned and etched propperly and just in case there were issues someone other than me would be responsible to repair it.

jac04
08-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I've seen quite a few DIY epoxy painted floors not hold up very well over time. A professional job is probably your best bet if you want the painted look and want it to last. Otherwise, look into having your floor polished (like the concrete floors at Lowes or Home Depot). My floors are polished and they don't produce dust, are easy to clean, but spills will leave stains. Another benefit is they are easy to clean off with a big squeegee when wet (I actually wash my cars in the garage). I don't mind the stains since I consider them reminders of the many projects undertaken in the garage.

englandseries
08-07-2011, 06:24 PM
i am a painting contractor and this is what we do... first we etch the floor with muratic acid to clean and wash off let the floor dry for a couple of days then take a piece of clear plastic just a small square tape all four corners down on the floor and wait 24 hours and check if no moisture is under the plastic then apply a two part epoxy we use a sherwin williams product and have fantastic luck with it.... any questions just P.M me

stomper
08-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Is there any special prep when you want to repaint a floor that has already been epoxyed, and has lifted in areas?

englandseries
08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
hey Stomper
this is greg in lincolnville if your floor is peeling try to etch it and re-paint
any questions just P.M me saw your rig at Careys very nice!

stomper
08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks Greg, I apparently didn't etch an area well enough, and it peeled, but the rest of the floor came out beautiful, and has stood up well. I will probably tackle it this fall or next summer. It is a good sized area, but it is on my wife's side of the garage, and not where I work on the Rover:D.

Was my rover covered in mud? I think Carey is prolonging the repairs so he can play with it some:D Thanks for the compliments on it! Wish you weren't selling yours!

Jeep Rescue
08-10-2011, 07:16 AM
After doing two garage floors over the past 6 years, I will never epoxy another garage floor. Too many issues with peeling up with hot tires and scratching. Granted, I weld and do a lot of automotive work, but bare concrete is best IMO.

Stay away from the kits that have the "chips" in them. All those do is catch dirt and grease.

So if you do any serious auto work that requires dragging stuff across the floor or any welding/plasma cutting, don't waste your money and time on painting the floor.

Regan
08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Has anyone painted thier garage floor for protecting against gasoline, antifreeze, motor oil, etc...

I am trying to find the best product and thought that I would check with the gang here.

Clint, I used to sell floor coatings for 10 years and truly feel the best floor coating out there is from Tennant Comapny.
Chemical Resistant Urethane, used in hangers and high end auto shops. It is not cheap and comes in white, light grey and clear. I have it in my mancave and can take a few pics should you like to see it. Yoo would need to etch the cocrete well, clean all residue off, dry, etc. and then apply one coat water epoxy, 2 coats of chem. resistant urethane. You can order from Tennant direct, I think. Materials will cost around $200 - $300 per gallon. If concrete is smooth, this coating makes it a showplace. It can also get slippery if wet or oily. My floor does not peal, however it does chip when I drop a heavy tool on it, but I just touch it up. Overall, this coating will resist jet fuel, oil, gas, solvents, battery acid and more. It can handle everything from a Land Rover or jet aircraft.

Hope this helps, Jeff