PDA

View Full Version : clutch??

Pete
08-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Recently started having issues with my clutch. (1972 SIII) Driving down the road the clutch started to feel "sticky", then it froze and I couldn't push it in. I got a tow home from the local AAA. Got it home and figured I would dig into it...stepped on the clutch and it worked fine??? Started the truck up and stepped on the clutch several times to move it in the driveway and take it down the street and seemed fine, then all of a sudden it locked up on me again and I couldn't push it in. If I let the truck set for a bit it then presses in fine but locks quickly after that. There were and are no odd sounds of any type coming from the truck. Clutch resevoir has plently of fluid...Anyone have any ideas? (air lock in the slave?)
Pete

LaneRover
08-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Inner failure of the flexible line that blocks off the line?

Something in the pedal tower?

Pete
08-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Just rebuilt my truck onto a galvanized frame and all lines are new. I have yet to get a second foot to press on the pedal while I inspect.

o2batsea
08-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Clutch? Who needs a clutch? You should be able to start it in first gear and then quickly get it into second, third, fourth. you have to match the road speed to the engine RPMs in order to get it into gear. Stop lights/signs present a different challenge. Helps if you're still rolling a bit so you don't have to shut off the engine, but even so shouldn't be too much with a little practice.
Towed home? For shame!

LaneRover
08-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I will concur with Bill. You don't need the clutch to shift. Upshifting is easier, as you let off on the gas slip it out of gear wait a moment and slide it into the next gear. Even works with non-synchro gears.

Downshifting you pull it out of gear as you let up on the gas and then blip the throttle to bring engine rpm's up to match the transmission rpms and slide it in.

In reality most truckers only use the clutch from a dead stop.

Pete
08-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I would agree with the both of you but it's a bit tough to trail ride like this and teach my daughter to drive. So based on that finding a solution and fixing it is the better option.

o2batsea
08-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I would agree with the both of you but it's a bit tough to trail ride like this and teach my daughter to drive. So based on that finding a solution and fixing it is the better option.
Wuss.
Well, intermittent failure of a hydraulic system , especially such a simple one as a clutch master/slave, means only one thing: a clog.
I think you already know what you have to do, so you might as well go ahead and do it.

LaneRover
08-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Oh, I'm not saying to not fix it. Just 'get you home' info. Though if your daughter can learn to drive on a clutchless Rover she'll be able to drive just about anything that someone puts in front of her.:D

73series88
08-09-2011, 10:20 AM
i cant even get my wife to drive mine with a clutch.
she's scared of it.
aaron

o2batsea
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh, I'm not saying to not fix it. Just 'get you home' info. Though if your daughter can learn to drive on a clutchless Rover she'll be able to drive just about anything that someone puts in front of her.:D

This along with the screwdriver starter solenoid, the paper clip, the rubber band, the hose clamp and the duct tape are among many of they tricks that every Rover owner needs in those "get you home" situations.
Have you ever tried using the starting handle? Oh yeah its a S3. Well try using the starting handle on a diesel!