PDA

View Full Version : Shippers for large tub

PH4
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for companies that ship large freight? Going from Mass to SC. Need a good company that can pick it up and ship to Charleston without beating the tar out of it. Any advice or comments appreciated.

crankin
08-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for companies that ship large freight? Going from Mass to SC. Need a good company that can pick it up and ship to Charleston without beating the tar out of it. Any advice or comments appreciated.

If you are a first time shipper with UPS freight they will give you a HUGE discount. You might check them.

LaneRover
08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Some folks have used Greyhound - but your shipper would need to take it to them and you would have to go and get it from the local Greyhound station.

greenmeanie
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I was put on to Redneck Express by the old cowboy I use to work with. Go to your nearest horse trailer dealer and see if they have anyone moving one in the right direction. A lot of people who move horses with those big 5th wheel trailers will also put anything in the back to help cover fuel costs.

My T-posts came from Montanna by rodeo clown. UPS wouldn't touch them and the quotes I got from U-ship were about three times the worth of the parts. It cost me $100 in the end.

SafeAirOne
08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Tub as in land rover body tub? I'm driving from Manchester, NH to Beaufort, SC next month, but a body tub is probably a bit big to fit on the roof of my wife's FJ Cruiser...

stonefox
08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Tub as in land rover body tub? I'm driving from Manchester, NH to Beaufort, SC next month, but a body tub is probably a bit big to fit on the roof of my wife's FJ Cruiser...
According to you or your wife? :D

Jim-ME
08-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I've seen stranger things on the top of a car. Go for it!
Jim

Terrys
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Some folks have used Greyhound - but your shipper would need to take it to them and you would have to go and get it from the local Greyhound station.
In order to get a 109 tub into the luggage compartment of a Greyhound, you'ld have to crush it first. Not sure that's the best option.

LaneRover
08-09-2011, 08:57 PM
In order to get a 109 tub into the luggage compartment of a Greyhound, you'ld have to crush it first. Not sure that's the best option.

details . . . . details . . .

PH4
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
SafeAirOne, We could use a trailer? I would much rather pay a member here than a shipping company. PM you with my number.

SafeAirOne
08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
SafeAirOne, We could use a trailer? I would much rather pay a member here than a shipping company. PM you with my number.

We could if we had a trailer hitch on my wife's FJC. Unfortunately, there isn't one (I just checked).

If it was a one-way trip it'd be easy to U-Haul it down there for you, but I've got to get home after my son's graduation at PI.

I'll try to give you a buzz tomorrow after work...

EDIT: Is it safe to presume we're talking about a Land Rover body tub? 88 or 109? If 109, 3 door or 5 door?

mongoswede
08-09-2011, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I image Greyhounds don't drive too well once they have been crushed. :D

jac04
08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
When I restored my 63 88" back in the early 90's, I brought the body to the body shop in pieces. The rear tub went on a Thule rack on top of my 84 Nissan Sentra station wagon. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Terrys
08-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for companies that ship large freight? Going from Mass to SC. Need a good company that can pick it up and ship to Charleston without beating the tar out of it. Any advice or comments appreciated.I have a guy who just drove up from FL who will deliver it in NC for you. He'll be in Boston tomorrow, and heading south next tuesday. I'll PM you his contact info now.

Terrys
08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
NC, SC, It's all south from here. He's driving back to FL so it's all good.

albersj51
08-10-2011, 02:34 PM
If you can get it to Greenville, SC we can strap it to the top of my Miata and drive it 4 hours to the coast...should make for an interesting trip. :D

Les Parker
08-10-2011, 03:07 PM
:eek:

We want pics of that !!

SafeAirOne
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
John, Your PM mailbox is full--

You may want to get in touch with Terrys contact in Boston--I can't think of any way that I'd be able to help you out based on my equipment and travel needs without costing you more than a normal shipper.

It'd be easy if I had a trailer hitch--Just a $249 one-way U-Haul trailer rental, but I don't, and my wife isn't receptive to installing one on her baby.:rolleyes:

jac04
08-10-2011, 09:14 PM
:eek:

We want pics of that !!
Here's one for you.
And, yes, those are some HUGE garage doors - I was actually able to load it in the garage and drive out.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/Sentrawith88Tub002.jpg

Les Parker
08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for posting the pic. Did you drive on the road like that?
Must have been some dreadfull wind resistance. Still, the same as a Series veh. Cd factor of a house brick.
Novel roof spoiler... or attractor.

jac04
08-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Did you drive on the road like that?
Sure did! Actually got up into the 45mph range.

LaneRover
08-11-2011, 08:12 AM
It does look like you will be one of the racers in 24 hours of Lemons!

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/