PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix Trouble

Momo
04-18-2007, 12:35 AM
The other day my 109 began to stutter, then a mile from home quit entirely and would not re-start. I traced it to a faulty distributor rotor, and replaced it and the points/condensor/cap/plug wires as well. I've been wanting a Pertronix for awhile so I went and got one.

Now the Pertronix is installed, and I can start the motor, but I can't seem to get it to run smoothly. It's backfiring through the carb at times & out the tailpipe when I throttle up, and I have no power under load. Yes, I know I should play with the advance/retard, and have done so. The symptoms persist through the range of adjustment (to much either way, of course, and the motor won't start). I adjusted the mixture screw on my Rochester without much effect.

Any ideas? Anyone encouter problems with a Pertronix install? Particularly those of you running a Rochester.

109sixer
04-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Try pulling the distributor out , rotate the motor 180 degrees and
put the distributor back in. Do the static timing again before you
try to start her up again.

giorgio
04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
This may be a dumb question, but is there any chance that you have two plug wires switched at the distributor? My mechanic has suggested that I switch two plug wires before, in order to get it to backfire through the carburetor in order to knock some gunk loose in the carburetor. (Not necessarily for my Land Rover, I think that it was on my Suzuki Samurai)

Giorgio

Momo
04-18-2007, 11:13 AM
All wires are in the right place. 45D4 distributor, Lucas Standard coil.
Truck has been running great- prior to rotor failure on Monday.
Valves are adjusted properly & timing was fine before Pertronix.

dmurrell
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
if you haven't adjusted your timing since the pertronix install, you'll definitely need to retime because the magnet is at a different place on the distributor shaft than the points were.

Momo
04-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I re-checked all my work. No improvement, so I put the points back in and the truck runs smoothly as usual. I think I just got a back ignition module.
They've been known to be crapped right out of the box....

fruitpunch
04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Last Petronix I bought was DOA right out of the box, I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong. Points much easier. KISS

NashvilleRover
04-19-2007, 11:08 PM
I had a very similar situation. Driving along and purring fine, and the "BANG" (huge back fire) and then like driving a bucking bronco!
I had to drop it in low range first gear to cripple home skipping and hiccupping all the way.
I thought I had thrown the timing chain.
After a bunch of diagnostic which included two sets of points and condensers, ... it was discovered that the center post on the distributor had simply worn out. It was wobbling (ever so slightly), but enough to constantly be throwing the old girl into a fit.

New distributor solved the problem. I have sent the old one off (it was the original, so I had to do it) for a rebuild.

You might check that as a possibility.

Hope this helps.
DJ
64 Series IIA

J!m
04-20-2007, 06:42 AM
I also have heard several bad reports on the Pertronics ignition systems. I don't know why they are so popular- or still in business for that matter...

I went with the Jacob's system, and couldn't be happier. I also replaced the distributor when I rebuilt the engine for North Africa, but the tining is rock solid. This is a good idea (or a distributor rebuild) to keep the timing solid. Wandering timing will make the truck run like crap (as noted above), and/or impossible to time at all!

Also, as an added bonus, if the 'brain' ever died on the trail for any reason, all that I have to do is pull the fuse, unplug the leads from the brain to the coil, and reconnect them crossed. This allows the truck to run with the original points (which are retained as a low-voltage switch which will last 100,000 miles) back into breaker points so you can continue the expedition. I've never had to do this myself, but it is good peace of mind to know I can fix it in 45 seconds with no tools...

Not as cheap as the Pertronics, but, you get what you pay for....

TedW
04-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I bought one for my new Ducellier but have yet to install it. I was under the impression that Pertronix was a good line and that electronic ignition was an advancement over old-fashioned points.

J!m
04-20-2007, 01:40 PM
It is an improvement over poorly adjusted points, but equal to properly adjusted points.

The problem is, it cannot be relied upon!

I also have the Ducelier distributor...

fruitpunch
04-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I agree how many petronix would you want to take on a trip to Africa ? I think none, bring points they are much easier and you might even find a spare set of points somewhere. I think our host used to sell them ?.... and stopped for obvious reasons....

msggunny
04-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I have run Pertronix on my Duciller for the past 3 years with out a hitch. Had it installed when in Zimbabwe and had it in ever since. I still keep a set of points around though just in case.

dmurrell
04-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Pertronix have been in my Series III since 2000 with no issues. I do carry a spare set of points and plate, but so far hasn't been needed. I'd say they are a vast improvement, if not in performance at least in time saved not adjusting points in 7 years ......

Linus Tremaine
04-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Jim,
There is one improvement over the point system besides less maintenance. That is that the Pertronix (and other electronic units) are able to keep dwell time higher at high RPM. This keeps a strong spark when at high revs, something a single point system struggles with. Of course, its not that useful in a rover.

Doug Main
05-08-2007, 09:38 PM
I installed a Crane Cams XR700 electronic ignition in 1991 in my Series 3 and have not had any trouble since. I have put about 140,000 miles on it since then.

greenmeanie
05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I've got a Newtronics system on my SIIa with Ducellier since 2001 and also my 101. I use my IIA as a daily driver round town, on the freeway and off road and have put approx. 150K on the thing without ever having had a problem in the haet and dust of the southwest. The Newtronics uses an optical pickup and slotted disc arrangement with a separate control box mounted on the bulkhead which keeps the electronics cool.

Electronic sytems tend to have high infant mortality due to manufacturing issues but once installed and working are unlikely to fail. Compared to the cost of an expedition what is the cost of a spare pertronix? The size and weight are no more than a spare set of points. Look at how many posts there are regarding ignition issues related to points compared to electronic ignition.

For the sake of elminating wear components and thus giving a more regular and controlled spark I am a huge fan of the electronic ignition.

Face it people, if you look at all the working vehicles in the areas where you go on expeditions I will guarrantee most of them now run electronics for engine management or, of course, are diesel which is another can of worms.

Flame suit on.
Gregor