PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic 8274

I Leak Oil
08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I remember reading about a dual electric motor Warn 8274 (forgot where) but has anyone replaced the electric motor with a hydraulic? I guess it might lose a little line speed but it would eliminate the electric motor, solenoids and would significantly increase the duty cycle. Anyone?

SafeAirOne
08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Never done it, but often thought about it when I had a PTO winch on one of my other trucks. One consideration is that one must build in some sort of safety mechanism, like a shear pin, since the hyd motor won't stall like an overloaded electric motor will.

I hope you end up doing something like this, Jason--I'd Love to see an onboard hyd system and hyd 8274 on a rover.

leafsprung
08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
was a lr option. its shown in a series three dealer brochure I have. Ive seen one on a jeep too

ignotus
08-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Gigglepin in the UK makes a 2 motor for the 8274. Mainly for trials events due to faster line speed.

gene

I Leak Oil
08-13-2011, 04:27 PM
was a lr option. its shown in a series three dealer brochure I have. Ive seen one on a jeep too

Any grainy photographs Ike?:D

JimCT
08-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Just remember with a hydraulic winch you have to have the engine running. Not on it's side, not in deep water, etc. They are great for skidding trees but perhaps not so great for recovery.

I Leak Oil
08-14-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm well versed in the electric\pto\hydraulic debates. I currently (no pun intended!) have electrics and would like to add a hydraulic to my fleet. With all that said, there hasn't yet been a situation what I've used my electric in that a pto\hydraulic woundn't have worked in. You'll never have one that will work in ALL situations.

Who here is good with hydraulics that can recommend a resource to find an appropriate motor?