PDA

View Full Version : HELP STRANDED IN WESTPORT CONN SERIES 2a

englandseries
08-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Anyone close to westport conn new owner is on way back in a 1971 series 2a 109 and has broken down need some roadside help!
i am on computer to see so let me know
Thanks
greg

SafeAirOne
08-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Not close, but what happened, mechanically speaking?

singingcamel
08-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Whats the problem?

englandseries
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
New owner says truck turns over but will not run, i had him replace fuel filter(truck is getting fuel) and the truck has had new points condenser and cap wires and plugs just installed last week so perplexed any suggestions?
Thanks

daveb
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
make sure all the plug wires are tight. check the didtributor cap and rotor are properly seated and the point and their wiring are all correct and making good contact. if they have a smartphone they can send you pics and you can upload them here for us to peruse.

englandseries
08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
thanks everyone new owner is going to rent a u haul and tow rover home

yank
08-18-2011, 11:51 AM
You could try these guy's
Next town over.

328 Commerce Drive
Fairfield, CT 06825
203-371-8579
classic4x4s (classic4x4s@yahoo.com?subject=shop%20inquiry%20fr om%20Rangerovers.net)

Ncrover725
08-18-2011, 12:55 PM
The truck is getting fuel right now with no issues. I checked under the cap and the condenser screw was very loose. Snugged up that some then I got a burning smell. I am getting the rover to land rover Milford for a quick look / advice. I started the drive so I think I am going to stick with it until I have to be at work Monday.

yank
08-18-2011, 01:15 PM
If its not to late you mite want t give classic 4x4 a call. I don't know much about them but they do work on series trucks. I doubt LR of Milford has.

Les Parker
08-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Ask for Dawson tel # (203) 371-8579 or (203) 870-1022.

Good to know that the fuel system is OK.

Keep us info'd.

LaneRover
08-18-2011, 02:27 PM
I would check all the different ignition related connections.

Plug wires, low tension lead, power to coil etc . . .

LaneRover
08-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I would check all the different ignition related connections.

Plug wires, low tension lead, power to coil etc . . .

I Leak Oil
08-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Check to see if you're getting spark at the plugs......
If you have that and you have fuel then you probably have bigger problems. Or I should say your friend has bigger problems.

englandseries
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
bobby,
spoke to carey that screw also is the adjustment screw for points so your points are "tango uniform" re-set points and should run ......

Ncrover725
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
The truck made it to Norwalk, CT and we are down again. I tried classic 4x4 and no one has picked up the phone all day. Any one know of any one in the area with parts or a shop?

Bobby
910-568-6217

SafeAirOne
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Same symptoms?

Ncrover725
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Yup.
I manually blew out the fuel lines and removed a clog in the line from the tank to the pump. I then cleaned the fuel pickup screen. The fuel pump looks a bit weak as I use the priming lever. The clear in line fuel filter maintains about half full now. It was maintaining a 1/4 full before I blew out the garbage. Any ideas?

Jim-ME
08-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Did you regap the points?
Jim

Les Parker
08-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Hello there, any further news?

Did you swap the pick-up pipes?

Also, did using the LH tank make any difference?

:confused:

Terrys
08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Kevin Murphy is in Ridgefield, not far from Westport. This is his cup of tea.

SafeAirOne
08-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Yup.
I manually blew out the fuel lines and removed a clog in the line from the tank to the pump. I then cleaned the fuel pickup screen. The fuel pump looks a bit weak as I use the priming lever. The clear in line fuel filter maintains about half full now. It was maintaining a 1/4 full before I blew out the garbage. Any ideas?

First off..surely SOMEBODY in CT must be able to help you in person--There's probably a half-dozen regular posters here from CT.

It sounds like you might be on the right track.

Let me describe the symptoms I get when the screen on my fuel uplift tube in the fuel tank gets clogged. See if they match up with what you're getting:

Initially, you can drive for long periods at slow speeds with little/no issue
If you drive on the highway you can go several miles, then it starts to feel sluggish
Within a mile or two, you will be unable to hold speed
You will pull over or go slow and the engine will run for another mile, maybe less
The engine will quit completely.
The engine will crank, but won't start.
If you immediately remove the fuel line from the filter or fuel pump, you will hear a small "woosh" of air being sucked into the line as soon as it is cracked.
The engine will start after sitting for a few to several hours and repeat the whole process, except that you can go less and less far each time before it acts up.
If this is similar to what you're experiencing, it's simply an obstructed fuel feed or a problem with the venting of the fuel tank.

If you think it's a weak fuel pump, you can just slap a generic LOW PRESSURE fuel pump in the in the feed line and power it of the white wire going to the coil.

Also, if you have dual fuel tanks, you might want to bypass the fuel tank selector valve and run a fuel line directly to the tank, as several people have had similar failures lately due to a leak in the selector valve gasket letting air into the system instead of fuel.

Paul Grant
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I hooked him up with Kevin. Last I heard he sent one if his guys out to help.

Ncrover725
08-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Tim Smith from Southport Ct is the man. My wife said a land rover guardian angel!! We worked on a few things and we are now through Connecticut, new York, and into new jersey. I truly appreciate all the support from you guys. Any one ever need help in NC please call on me.

Les Parker
08-20-2011, 07:57 AM
So, running like a champ (not an Austin, though..) again?

Good to know a Samaritan from the community came to you assistance.

:thumb-up:

msggunny
08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Mr Murphy reared his ugly head.

Hope you all enjoyed your little stay in Ct!

LaneRover
08-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Very glad TIm was able to help you.

Now if only he would share some of his wines like he shares his Rover knowledge! :D

http://www.timsmithwines.com.au/

Brent

Tim Smith
08-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Hi guys,
Been away from the forum for a while but Bobby clued me in on this thread. Hope you all are well.

I gave a courtesy call to Bobby tonight and he seems to be doing well. I was worried about their wipers when we parted ways because it just started to rain at that point.

In the end, Bobby had a bad signal to the coil which was the engine non-run issue. That was pretty easy to figure out and all he needed was a little soldering to get him going. Also got his headlights working and reset his clutch peddle.

FYI, whoever rebuilt the clutch hydraulics in this truck created a super strong throw in the slave end. I suggest this is a good thing but not at all the norm for the trucks I generally see. That actually caused some excessive trouble shooting because when the peddle was adjusted out all the way, it seemed like the throwout bearing was pushing the clutch plate back into the flywheel. There were a few moments of mild concern until that was figured out.

Bobby and his lovely wife were both very patient through all of this testing and repair. Bobby is an enthusiastic new owner and very willing to learn. I hope everyone on the forum will continue to give constructive comments and produce answers and encouragement. As is the norm, I'm sure.

Cheers all!

Tim Smith
08-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Not sure why my post has the thumbs down, but rest assured that is upside down.

Cheers!

73series88
08-21-2011, 08:51 AM
yea Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim-ME
08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I wanted to help but was definitely in the wrong state. Thanks for helping him out Tim. Although hopefully you won't need it I sincerely hope that someday I can repay your kindness.
Jim

solihull109
08-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Glad to hear you got him going Tim!
I did the brakes about a year ago, but have not touched his clutch....can't help ya there.
That's a long drive in a series for sure....Bobby sounded like a trooper though.:thumb-up:

Ncrover725
08-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I just crossed the North Carolina border!!! 150 miles more and the rover will be at her new home.

SafeAirOne
08-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Glad to see you stuck with it. There's no adventure in renting a U-Haul truck and trailer. Plus, I'm sure you learned a thing or two from Tim. Just the beginning of your never-ending Series Land Rover education, really...:thumb-up:

Tim Smith
08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Although I didn't get a chance to go over the whole truck, I can say that it looked like a good one. Lots of character but well maintained and a solid runner.

Is Jim Young still maintaining the Birmabright brotherhood? I'm pretty sure I'm still on that list. Either way, I'm just glad I could jump in and help.

Keep on truckin' Bobby!

Ncrover725
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
We made it !!!!! Our rover has made it to it's new home. 1002 miles total. Every one was amazing. My wife and I had a great time and met some awesome people. She was a trooper and I could not have asked her to have been any better. There are too many names here to name but thank you all for your wisdom and support. If any of you are in NC and need some help just let me know.
Bobby

kwd509
08-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Bravo!.

Any photos available?

RoverForm
08-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Tim Smith from Southport Ct is the man. My wife said a land rover guardian angel!! We worked on a few things and we are now through Connecticut, new York, and into new jersey. I truly appreciate all the support from you guys. Any one ever need help in NC please call on me.
please get together some photos from your trip and maybe a full write-up. this story should go in the RN mag next edition...

Ncrover725
08-22-2011, 01:15 PM
My wife documented the entire thing and is working on it now.

kevin-ct
08-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Bobby,

It was nice talking with you.

Glad Tim was able help! Sorry I could not have met you and your wife. Did Tim show you the Pope (not real) Land Rover Defender in my shop?

I was out in CA driving the New Land Rover evoque in the woods.

Nice little truck cant wait to see them on the roads :thumb-up:

Cheers,

Kevin
British Auto Repairs
Southport CT.

Tim Smith
08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
This is how I found them in Norwalk. I wonder if they were at all concerned when I popped out of the car with a camera as my first tool of choice. ;)

SafeAirOne
08-22-2011, 07:53 PM
That's a good looking 109 :thumb-up:

RoverForm
02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
My wife documented the entire thing and is working on it now.
any updates on this?

73series88
02-24-2012, 06:48 AM
not sure
aaron

Ncrover725
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
My wife is at about a 90% solution right now with the writting. She is tied up in a book she is working on but should be complete by the end of this month. I was going to mail it in to RN to see if they wanted it. The 109 has been my daily driver since August and she has seen a few smaller trips. I have learned a bunch and try to turn a wrench or two atleast once a week. I am working now on getting her ready for a fund raiser (stop child trafficking) road trip with another 109 to Guatemala from North Carolina. As I get closer than that one I will have a bunch more questions as I work through the issues on the Rover.

Ncrover725
03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
The wife submitted the story and pics to Rovers North last weekend.