PDA

View Full Version : Crud / Residue from Vent Seals. Removal Options?!

1967IPA
08-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Been removing the crusty and cemented OLD vent seals from the 109.
I don't want to harm the bulkhead and paint, so are there options for removal? I thought maybe a "goo gone" or some other type of remover?
This stuff is like concrete.

bkreutz
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Try WD-40, it's one of the best goo removers I've used.

TedW
08-18-2011, 03:47 PM
You can also try 3M Adhesive remover - comes in a red can. I use it on lots of old gunk and it works great.

crankin
08-18-2011, 03:54 PM
You could also try gasket remover spray.

daveb
08-18-2011, 04:03 PM
The pros use Naptha. It won't hurt the paint. Other solvents can and will. You might have to work it for a bit to soften up the leftover adhesive because it evaporates so quickly. but, that is the property that prevents it from f**king up your paint.

Goo gone should be ok but i think the naptha is stronger. goof off is another one but both of those are homeowner type products.
cheers
Dave

badvibes
08-18-2011, 04:07 PM
1967IPA-

When I did this I had to scrape the crud out. I think I used a screwdriver that fit the width of the area well. If you are a little careful doing this the damage to the paint would be minimal. Remember whatever you do the area will never be seen as it will be under the adhesive and new seals. I used a little primer to touch up he area before installing the new seals. Just spit ballin' here.

Jeff