PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Bumperette Mounting Question

Duckman
08-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I just received a pair of front bumperettes for my 74 Lightweight. I noted that they have holes for mounting from the front of the bumper and from the top. However upon closer inspection I noticed that the path of the bolts would cross. :confused:

Am I to assume you can either do front mounting or top but not both?

If I am missing something here please let me know.

Thanks.
Andy

I Leak Oil
08-21-2011, 02:23 PM
you can probably use both. Bolt head on the outside from the front, bolt head underneath, nut on top for the top set.

jac04
08-21-2011, 07:44 PM
The holes are far enough away from each other that there is no problem with bolt interference using both sets of holes. The bolt heads are on the bumperette side at all locations.

Duckman
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Just got back in town and had a chance to look at the Landys bumper.
Mine is solid on the back not open - see pic below.

This is going to make mounting difficult. Only options I can see are mounting using just 2 front bolts or doing a lot of cutting on the back of the bumper.

Am I missing anything?

Ideas???

Thanks.
Andy
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m497/cap_duck/DSCN2421.jpg

LaneRover
08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Just got back in town and had a chance to look at the Landys bumper.
Mine is solid on the back not open - see pic below.

This is going to make mounting difficult. Only options I can see are mounting using just 2 front bolts or doing a lot of cutting on the back of the bumper.

Am I missing anything?

Ideas???

Thanks.
Andy
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m497/cap_duck/DSCN2421.jpg

Could you drill holes and then use self tapping bolts?

jac04
08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
That's an interesting bumper. Looks to be a homemade unit. It also looks thicker than a factory bumper. If it's thick enough, you could possibly drill & tap for mounting the bumperettes. Another option would be to get a proper Lightweight bumper.

bkreutz
08-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Or you could use a riv-nut, it's like a pop rivet but leaves a threaded insert in a sheet metal hole.

Duckman
08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
jac04 - I think this is the original bumper, can't find anything to show that it has ever been removed, has all the other parts of a LW bumper, just no bumperettes and is solid. As mine is a left hand drive that did it's service in Berlin mybe they decided no need for off roading. ???

Maybe some magical, one off bumper LR made that I can sell for thousands of $$ and finance everything else I need to do to the beast. :D. With my luck, probably not.

bkreutz - Thanks for the tip on riv-nut. New one to me, but after doing a little research on-line it looks like that may be the way to go.

Andy

jac04
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
It's an unusual bumper for a Lightweight, that's for sure. How wide is it?

Also, the last of the Lightweights were not fitted with bumperettes, amongst other things like rear lifting rings and IR light switch.

Duckman
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Width appears to be standard.

After doing some additional digging I am now starting to think it is a standard Series III front bumper. Why it is mounted on an otherwise very stock Lightweight I have no idea.

If I am learning anything about these ex-MOD vehicles its that all types of interesting field modifications were made and that no two are exactly alike.

jac04
08-30-2011, 02:15 PM
My vote is to fit a correct Lightweight front bumper. Check with PA Blanchard to see if they are still available. I picked up mine (along with the bumperettes) for cheap from them.

I Leak Oil
08-30-2011, 03:29 PM
So it sounds like:
a) Make them fit your existing bumper (good choice if you bumper is more robust than an original, not hard to do)
b) Get and original bumper and fit them.
c) Don't use bumperetts. I found them to be one more piece of body work to get pushed into the fender....sometimes less is more.

Jim-ME
08-30-2011, 03:50 PM
If it were me I'd go the riv-nut route. What ever you do don't cut the bumper.
Jim

SafeAirOne
08-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Can't you just remove the bumper from the truck, install the stuff through the opening (not easy, but do-able), then reinstall the bumper?

I can't tell very well by the pic, but I'm presuming that it's like my SIII bumper where there is a large opening in the center which allows access to the ends...

Duckman
08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Mark, my bumper is sealed in the back and sides, no way to get in except to cut. Really don't want to go that route.

Don't want to go with a whole new bumer just to mount these things.

Leaning towards the riv-nut route on top and run front bolts all the way through. Need to do a little more research on the riv-nuts to see if they will work.

I appreciate all the input and will let you know how this turns out.

Andy

SafeAirOne
08-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Weird.

So it's welded up/sealed off inside this hole where it attaches to the chassis? Looking at the method of mounting to the chassis, bumper dimensions and construction, it looks non-factory, though I'm not familiar with air-portables.

You might consider getting a 1" hole saw and cutting a few strategically-placed holes.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6098825004_7974e2f0c4_z.jpg

jac04
08-31-2011, 08:05 AM
This is what factory Lightweight bumpers look like:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/LtwtBumper001.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/LtwtBumper002.jpg

SafeAirOne
08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Ahh...so they DO mount to the chassis horns differently than "normal" series bumpers...

Duckman
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Fantastic pics jac04. Really helps me understand what a standard LW bumber looks like.

SafeAirOne - As I stated I really don't want to go cutting on the bumper. Besides the fact that it would be a giant pain in the butt I am also afraid of creating a pocket where moisture can sit and turn into rust.

Still leaning towards riv-nuts but man that original bumper has me thinking. Great plan - spend $500 ona new bumper just so I can mount bumperettes that cost me $50. :eek:

jac04
09-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Silly question -
Do you have the correct Lightweight-specific bumperettes?
If you try to use non-Lightweight bumperettes, they can interfere with the front lifting eyes and they cover too much of the headlights.

mrdoiron
09-03-2011, 03:09 PM
That's an interesting bumper. Looks to be a homemade unit. It also looks thicker than a factory bumper. If it's thick enough, you could possibly drill & tap for mounting the bumperettes. Another option would be to get a proper Lightweight bumper.I think you're right jac, I saw Andy at the Dallas Cars for Coffee today and told him the same - definetly seems custom fab'd, pretty heavy duty.

mike

Duckman
09-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Mike - It was good seeing you at C&C today and thanks for taking a look at the bumper. The more I look at it the more I think you and jac are right.

I did a test fit of the bumperettes when I got home. The mounts extend about 1/4 past the bumper. The top mounting holes are right at the back end of the bumper. So much for worrying about how to run bolts through those. Probably going to try just front bolts and see how that goes, if wobbly then will yank bumper and weld.

Good news is they don't interfere with the lights in any way.