PDA

View Full Version : pinion driving flange, oil seal retainer and 'joint washer'?

kwd509
08-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Working now on the pinion seal and a couple questions come up.
heck of a time getting the old seal out of the retainer and then find red stains.... suggesting gasket sealer used liberally.......
first question is terminology:
1- is this what the green bible refers to as jointing compound?
2-driving flange cleaned up reasonably well but is not perfect. Note small irregularities that run parallel to the seating of the oil seal...... is this going to hold oil or is a new part or speedi-seal needed?( see attached photo)

3- joint washer arrives from host/RN. I expected a paper gasket (as with other joint washers) but find it is thin metal item.- looking a bit different from what is seen in the green bible. (See attached picture). Is this correct?

Thanks again for all the help.

Donnie
08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Working now on the pinion seal and a couple questions come up.
heck of a time getting the old seal out of the retainer and then find red stains.... suggesting gasket sealer used liberally.......
first question is terminology:
1- is this what the green bible refers to as jointing compound?
2-driving flange cleaned up reasonably well but is not perfect. Note small irregularities that run parallel to the seating of the oil seal...... is this going to hold oil or is a new part or speedi-seal needed?( see attached photo)

3- joint washer arrives from host/RN. I expected a paper gasket (as with other joint washers) but find it is thin metal item.- looking a bit different from what is seen in the green bible. (See attached picture). Is this correct?

Thanks again for all the help.
Hi, I would not trust this to hold oel. It is pitted where the former seal was located..
If a speedy sleeve is available I would go with that.
The metal "gasket" must replace the paper one?? if they are the same thickness..
Just coat it with a lite film of your favorite RTV.....Very lite , spread it thin...You are going to squeeze it out when you tighten it..Donnie

akrvr
08-22-2011, 07:32 PM
I would speedi sleeve it or chuck up the piece in a lathe or drill press and polish out the pits. Measure the seal and get a double lip seal.