PDA

View Full Version : Series III Dash Bottom....

knac1234
08-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Hello all,

So after 3 days of nonstop work, the truck is off to paint! Got my LH tub panel installed, and the rope hooks on the RH panel that I put on a few weeks back :D

When removing the dash bottom yesterday, a few questions came to mind:

-Is there any reason to replace (instead of going to an upholsterer to recover) the dash bottom? What is in there....anything that might rot, etc???

-I noticed, looking from the back, that not only is there 2 additional gauge holes in the center cluster (which I used for my altimeter and clock), but what looks like a rectangular area for perhaps a radio? Is that the correct location for the radio (to the right of the left defroster hose, and to the left of the center gauge cluster)?

-There were 2 cables coming out of the heater control mechanism on the left of the dash....one went to the dash bottom (presumably to control air flow to the defrost vents or lower vents) and one was just dangling in the engine compartment! Where does it go?

Regards,
Julian

Apis Mellifera
08-23-2011, 11:57 AM
one was just dangling in the engine compartment! Where does it go?

Regards,
Julian

It goes to the heater control valve on the top, front of the engine and controls the water to the heater core.

knac1234
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Apis,

Not being near the truck, I would have expected that was where the cable went.

But I don't recall seeing a valve anywhere! Where should it be (could it have been removed altogether)?! MGB ones go bad often...perhaps that is what happened?

Julian

Terrys
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Julian, The lower dash a;ways came through with 3 holes, but I suspect the rectangular opening you're describing is a PO mod.
The lower dash has a bad habit of rusting out, and can be replaced with one from a 90 or ROW 110. Some people have used gas tank sealer to coat the insides. Not sure if fumes are an issue later on.

amcordo
08-23-2011, 12:53 PM
1. Do not cut out that radio rectangle yet. FIRST, find a radio that'll fit depth-wise (good luck). There's just not much room for a radio there, and certainly not enough for a CD player.

2. YES to rot. Lots of it likely. I tore off the old upholstery on mine and found this (the last photos on this link):
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.875111841814.2532369.12302234&l=28abb4acbe&type=1
I didn't have a welding setup to fix it, and couldn't find anyone local, and just got fed up so I used some high-heat glue and sheet metal to patch those holes, then used a putty to fill them in before re-covering it.

Hello all,

So after 3 days of nonstop work, the truck is off to paint! Got my LH tub panel installed, and the rope hooks on the RH panel that I put on a few weeks back :D

When removing the dash bottom yesterday, a few questions came to mind:

-Is there any reason to replace (instead of going to an upholsterer to recover) the dash bottom? What is in there....anything that might rot, etc???

-I noticed, looking from the back, that not only is there 2 additional gauge holes in the center cluster (which I used for my altimeter and clock), but what looks like a rectangular area for perhaps a radio? Is that the correct location for the radio (to the right of the left defroster hose, and to the left of the center gauge cluster)?

-There were 2 cables coming out of the heater control mechanism on the left of the dash....one went to the dash bottom (presumably to control air flow to the defrost vents or lower vents) and one was just dangling in the engine compartment! Where does it go?

Regards,
Julian

knac1234
08-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Tony and Terry....thanks.

I could use a spacer on the radio front....the housing will fit, but the depth of the radio may not...will look at that later....not a big issue.

Rot--so, would you recommend firstly stripping the upholstery and then, if I am lucky enough to find no rot, perhaps galvanizing it with the other stuff I have going in prior to reupholstering it???

Cheers,
Julian

Terrys
08-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Rot--so, would you recommend firstly stripping the upholstery and then, if I am lucky enough to find no rot, perhaps galvanizing it ....???

Me?, I don't know, but I'm sure you know what Tony's answer will be. Makes me jealous he has someone close enough, and, more importantly, willing to do car stuff. Our local got pissed off at car people and now won't talk to them.

crankin
08-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Be creative with the radio placement. There are tons of post talking about the placement of a radio. I placed mine here:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8LOu5ou7bE8/S6qkD3_n0VI/AAAAAAAAA_w/7yYvgEQui6s/s912/DSC04122.JPG

knac1234
08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
It's currently installed under the dash to the right of the steering column. Looks fine and fits well. Just thought I might reinstall it in the "original" location when reassembling everything when I came across the opening behind the dash!!

Julian

siii8873
08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
On the SIII dashs I've had off the most rot is where the square hole is that the air enters the dash along the bottom. Mine was good enough that a wire brush and some anti rust paint was all I did.
There should be a heater control valve at the front of the engine that the cable connects to. The return heater hose from the heater matrix connects to it.

ca_surveyor
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
On mine, 73 exMOD 109, it had more rust than metal. Looked good from the outside until I tried to work on the heater cables and 5 pound of rust flakes poured out.

I am thinking about fabricating one using the remains of the old one as a template. I checked prices for a Defender one, but way beyond my Budweiser budget.

Looking forward to hearing about other ideas.

Broadstone
08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
I replaced my rotten lower dash with a new one about 2 years ago. The rectangle seems to be a guide for an opening for a radio like you said, my original had it as does the new one. I could not bring myself to even cut the opening for the oil pressure gauge since it was a new dash, so I mounted it in the accessory panel. I por15'd the entire inside of the dash and also smeared all of the seams inside with anti seize which should seep in some when it is heated and it does not smell horrible.

Would like to know if anyone has galvanised it as it is pretty thin material especially if it had any rusty areas. I am curious how it would hold up.

Cutter
08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
I pulled mine apart earlier this year to fix a broken vent cable and it was a bit dusty but not in too bad of shape, some surface rust here and there. By dusty I mean full of a 1/4" of wood dust from the POs shop. I installed a VDO vacuum and voltmeter gauge while I had it open which was pretty easy to do, though took some nerves to make the cut. Someone installed threaded inserts at one time under the gauges on the underside of the dash for an external CB or radio mount, which I'll reuse if I ever decide I need one.

SalemRover
08-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Has anyone tried reupholstering with good results? Without pulling it apart I cannot tell if they relied on material elasticity to stretch around curves or notches in the fabric or both. I was also thinking that some form of vacuum bag to hold it together while the glue cured would be in order. I have 2 hides of thick top grain shoe leather I would love to use for the dash but I am completely inexperienced in the whole upholstery department.

rejeep
08-24-2011, 09:15 AM
a good stereo shop that does custom box work would be your best bet to have somebody else do it..
they cover all kinds of odd shapes with thick fabric..
I was thinking of having them do my dash to match the door panels I had them make..

knac1234
08-24-2011, 09:31 AM
If I go the recover route, I have the upholsterer to do it. He did, among other things, the cardboard trim panels that go in the front boot of my Imp. Very challenging curves, and many of them. Looked awesome.....the dash bottom should be a snap in comparison!

Julian

amcordo
08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Guess who galvanized it? ME!

It warped a bit where the metal goes under the steering wheel (I was able to hammer it into perfection), but other than that did just fine with the dip. The metal plate that attaches to the inside tray warped horribly. Not a big issue though - that's just a straight flat piece that can be made easy enough.

knac1234
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Tony,
LOL!!

Good to hear someone did it. Not sure if I will, but will be going to the galvanizers hopefully next week!

On another note, where can I get the foam square piece that goes between the heater dist box/bulkhead and bulkhead/lower dash?? RN has the giant round foam bit for the air intake which I will get but they don't have the square piece??

Julian

rejeep
08-27-2011, 08:15 AM
I replaced my rotten lower dash with a new one about 2 years ago. The rectangle seems to be a guide for an opening for a radio like you said, my original had it as does the new one. I could not bring myself to even cut the opening for the oil pressure gauge since it was a new dash, so I mounted it in the accessory panel. I por15'd the entire inside of the dash and also smeared all of the seams inside with anti seize which should seep in some when it is heated and it does not smell horrible.

Would like to know if anyone has galvanised it as it is pretty thin material especially if it had any rusty areas. I am curious how it would hold up.

Are these center pods available??
Mine was all cut with years of PO holes and switches... I would like to start fresh