PDA

View Full Version : My Rebuild Thread

amcordo
08-25-2011, 02:32 PM
So I've been gathering stuff for my rebuild. I'm still a little ways off from doing the major parts - I need a house to work on it in first. But in the meantime I've been doing little projects here and there so I'm going to start noting them in this thread.

Here she is before:

I Leak Oil
08-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Dude, I hope that's you in the front seat....:D

Terrys
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
................and from what they say, you ought to be able to do better than the babe in the back seat. I mean, seriously, I thought I had been out with some uggers.

amcordo
08-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Um that's me in the back seat. Thanks for a) calling me a babe, and b) calling me fugly. -1 Terry.

It's our annual Doo Dah Parade. People just show up and wear whatever they want. My favorite are the Marching Fidel Castro's - they've been doing it for 32 years. Back in the day they dragged a clothes rack full of fatigues behind them and conscripted parade-watchers into the parade to march with them. This year they carried a banner that said "not dead yet!" Anyway, I'm sasquatch two years running.

SafeAirOne
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Interesting middle doors. Are they modified or are those...Canadian market, I think...2-piece factory doors?

jp-
08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
No doubt Tony will shortly produce some stunning detail photos of the teardown process complete with supermodels helping him remove the bulkhead.

You make me sick.:D

amcordo
08-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Interesting middle doors. Are they modified or are those...Canadian market, I think...2-piece factory doors?

They were original equipment two piece middle doors. It's a crying shame - I had to throw away the door tops to the middle doors because there really wasn't much left of them when I was stripping it to galvanize it. The bottom frames are galvanized now, and I'm on the lookout for the middle door tops in reasonably good condition in case anyone comes across them.

LaneRover
08-26-2011, 07:10 AM
They were original equipment two piece middle doors. It's a crying shame - I had to throw away the door tops to the middle doors because there really wasn't much left of them when I was stripping it to galvanize it. The bottom frames are galvanized now, and I'm on the lookout for the middle door tops in reasonably good condition in case anyone comes across them.

I think I would have kept those door tops as patterns at least. Those doors are quite rare.

amcordo
08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
On one hand I agree, but it's really not that big of a loss. I'll end up getting the full side door replacements from RN, and then whenever it's nice out swap them for the half door. Easy enough.

Terrys
08-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I think I would have kept those door tops as patterns at least. Those doors are quite rare.
X2
Did you save the glass, and hardware?
I have a couple 2nd row doors from a Defender 110. They use push button handles, but otherwise they would work. You pick'm up. I hate licking envelopes so packing them is out of the question.

amcordo
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
X2
Did you save the glass, and hardware?
I have a couple 2nd row doors from a Defender 110. They use push button handles, but otherwise they would work. You pick'm up. I hate licking envelopes so packing them is out of the question.

I saved the glass. That's all the hardware there was. The tracks were dead to me, and the dissolved when I pulled it away from the bottoms. Now you guys have me depressed. I could have been a rich man if I had reproduced them...

Terrys
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm only guessing here, but since you saved the glass, a good fabricator might be able to take some front tops and modify them. I've never owned a 109 with 2 piece rear doors. Are the door widths the same, and hence the bottom edge of the front door tops be the same as those that were to go on the 2nd row doors? (yeah, I could get off my a$$ and go take some measurements on my 110) Might not be all that hard to do. In fact, it might not be all that hard to take one piece rear doors, cut them down, add the galvy strip and Voila !

LaneRover
08-27-2011, 12:47 PM
On one hand I agree, but it's really not that big of a loss. I'll end up getting the full side door replacements from RN, and then whenever it's nice out swap them for the half door. Easy enough.

True