PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my alpine roof without the sunshield??

knac1234
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Hello all,

So the Rover is in for paint, and the sunshield (?) that sits about an inch above my alpine roof is a little warped/banged up.

My roof is near perfect, with only 1 small dent in it, but as the shield goes, the painter says he can make it better, but not perfect, with many hours of time.

So, apart from it not being correct, could I theoretically run the alpine roof (windows/vents) without the shield? The only issue I could see is having to fill the holes to which the spacers usually bolt with just bolts......but would it create issues with excessive leaking through the pop up vents even when closed?

Another thought.....anyone have a good one?! Will post on GNR too!

Cheers,
Julian

4flattires
08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
In theory.....yes you can run without a sunsheet.....

OSHA will require a SPF50 lotion dispenser mounted on the dash (passenger side, no more than 18" from the floor) and warning decals up to and including signs advising of DANGER, MACHINERY IN USE, EYE PROTECTION REQUIRED, HARDHAT AREA and NOT A STEP to be posted in prominent locations both inside and outside the vehicle. While not in use orange cones are required on all four corners of the vehicle.

There! Someone had to say it! :thumb-up:

LaneRover
08-25-2011, 08:12 PM
......but would it create issues with excessive leaking through the pop up vents even when closed?

I think the excessive leaking come when they are open and scooping water out of the air - you could always reverse the way the open of course . . .

When closed they will provide normal amounts of leaking

JimCT
08-25-2011, 08:50 PM
The sun shields work, why would you not want to use it?

knac1234
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Jim-I do want to use it. Not sure on whether it can be made to look good enough to match the rest of the Rover :confused:

Lane-My entire roof was disassembled and in baggies, etc... so I don't even know really which way the vents open (when you talk about reversing them).

Keeping my options open......going to tell him to do the sunshield last until I make a decision....so that will buy me a few weeks or so!

Julian

artpeck
08-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Not that this is a vote but...it is a pretty cool feature fairly unique to a rover of this vintage. I vote to put it back in service repaired as best it can be. It will preserve the original aspect of the truck and probably add value. My two cents.

LaneRover
08-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Jim-I do want to use it. Not sure on whether it can be made to look good enough to match the rest of the Rover :confused:

Lane-My entire roof was disassembled and in baggies, etc... so I don't even know really which way the vents open (when you talk about reversing them).

Keeping my options open......going to tell him to do the sunshield last until I make a decision....so that will buy me a few weeks or so!

Julian

They open to the front to pull in air - I have never had water come in when driving. I think that the sunshield definitely adds but as mentioned you don't want it to be the only part of the truck with a bunch of dents.
But I think that if you can repair the worst of the dents you might be amazed at what a coat of paint will do.

knac1234
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks all,

Think I will keep my options open and have him do that piece LAST. I can work on getting the rest of the truck back together while he is working on it, and perhaps I will get lucky with either fabricating a new one or finding a good used one.

I agree, although I am having a bit of creative license with the truck here and there, I'd like to keep the overall stock look (was going to have a Union Jack decal on the sunshield part of the roof :D).

Regards,
Julian

73series88
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
use it
sun screens are cool
aaron