PDA

View Full Version : building a roof rack

Skookumchuck
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Has anyone here built a roof rack? what did you use aluminum or steel? I am wanting to build one any info is appreciated

Terrys
08-26-2011, 06:44 PM
You can buy 1/2" box tubing and copy a Brownchurch pretty easily. Got a galvanizer near to you out there?

I Leak Oil
08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
If you can work the aluminum and afford it that would be the better option. It'll keep the weight down and you won't have to finish it with anything. But as Terrys mentioned, square steel tubing is cheap and easy to work with.

73series88
08-26-2011, 07:12 PM
i dont have the skill or patience
AARON

Jim-ME
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
SafeAirOne makes a really nice modular aluminum rack if you don't want to build one yourself.
Jim

mongoswede
08-26-2011, 07:25 PM
You could build one using a welder to glue all the joints together or you could bolt everything together...all depends on what you have to work with and skills. I have seen people make roof racks out of wood, plumbing fittings, steel, aluminum, etc. If you are looking to make a gear basket style rack you could easily make the basket and then just buy a rain gutter foot kit and cross bars from Thule and just clamp your construction in place.

Broadstone
08-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Just last week I finally built a set of roof bars. Purchased the tube steel for around $40 and took about 3 hours to fabricate. I like roof racks, but feel roof bars are more suitable for me. They are moveable depending on what you are carrying, very light weight,, and quick to remove when you don't need them, which for me is most of the time. Plus they are not wheel base specific for 88,109,90,110. I cannot fit in my garage with them and they remove in 5 mins without recruiting someone to help you as the case with a roof rack. I get a lot of satisfaction out of fabrication so little projects like this I find quit fun.

I strapped on a safari top and brought it to another board member just last night. Works great!

SafeAirOne
08-26-2011, 08:27 PM
SafeAirOne makes a really nice modular aluminum rack if you don't want to build one yourself.
Jim

Thanks, Jim.

Broadstone, I see you've taken the tropical roof/sun sheet concept to a whole new level! :D

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5171&d=1314407289

Broadstone
08-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Keeps the truck twice as cool right, isnt that what they are for??

HybridIIA
08-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Keeps the truck twice as cool right, isnt that what they are for??

I think I did something wrong :confused:. You're double roof setup looks much more effective than mine.

mongoswede
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I think I did something wrong :confused:. You're double roof setup looks much more effective than mine.

its pictures like this that make me want to keep my 109...no not whats on the roof rack.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5172&d=1314409504

Skookumchuck
08-26-2011, 11:46 PM
I have access to welders and should be able to fab something together. What I need detalied pictures is the attachment point to the rain gutters and how they are held in place. The rest is pretty straight forward. Any pictures of that detail would be helpfull. There is a galvanizing place in Calgary and Lethbridge so I should be able to get parts coated or I could just powder coat them as well.

siii8873
08-27-2011, 06:06 AM
not sure what you are looking for, but thule makes a rack system that fits a rover roof

HybridIIA
08-27-2011, 07:29 AM
I have access to welders and should be able to fab something together. What I need detalied pictures is the attachment point to the rain gutters and how they are held in place. The rest is pretty straight forward. Any pictures of that detail would be helpfull. There is a galvanizing place in Calgary and Lethbridge so I should be able to get parts coated or I could just powder coat them as well.
Here is how mine is attached. I can email more photos to you if you of the rack if you need.

Skookumchuck
08-27-2011, 08:59 AM
that looks good, thanks do you have the measurements for the cross members? and how many cross members shoud I use?

HybridIIA
08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
that looks good, thanks do you have the measurements for the cross members? and how many cross members shoud I use?

My rack is constructed of 3/4" square tubing. There are 5 longitudinal pieces and 6 lateral pieces.

I like your sliders. Would it be possible for you to email me close-up photos of them, especially of the attachment points? I am thinking about making a set for my truck. Thanks.

Skookumchuck
08-27-2011, 01:33 PM
PM your email and I will send you a bunch of pictures. I am going to go climb a mountain this afternoon and see how good they work.:D

Apis Mellifera
08-27-2011, 02:18 PM
My rack is constructed of 3/4" square tubing. There are 5 longitudinal pieces and 6 lateral pieces.

What is the total height of the rack (mounts to very top) and the height of the lon/lat pieces to the very top? Also, wall thickness of tubing?

I've estimated 16" total height, with 10" need to clear the roof and 6" of "usable" rack depth. I've only found 3/4" in .065 wall and for an 88, that means about a 75lb rack.

Many Thanks,
Matt

HybridIIA
08-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I've estimated 16" total height (the total height of my rack is 16-1/2"), with 10" need to clear the roof (mine measures 9-7/8") and 6" of "usable" rack depth. I've only found 3/4" in .065 wall (same as mine - I wouldn't go any thinner/smaller though, as you can see in the photo above, the front section of mine is already bowing from some of the stuff I carry up there) and for an 88, that means about a 75lb rack.

Many Thanks,
Matt
_____

HybridIIA
08-27-2011, 04:19 PM
PM your email and I will send you a bunch of pictures. I am going to go climb a mountain this afternoon and see how good they work.:D
Thanks, I sent you a PM, but my email is offroverin <at> cox <dot> net.

Donnie
08-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Do stop for a Big Mac at the drive thru..................Donnie