PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox removal questions.

kwd509
08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Yesterday, in an impulsive move forward I rented an engine hoist and removed the gearbox. It was not difficult at all. This will allow for easy access to clutch,release bearing, and the output seals, which I think should be changed. Also to frame for cleaning. The removal raisied two immediate questions.
1- cross member right below clutch seems to have sustained a good collision at some point. Clearance between bell housing and frame seems somewhat reduced as a result- peraps a half inch....... Is this something I need to address by trying to bend cross member back?
2- I thought the gearbox mounts firmly mount the gearbox to the frame, but that seems not to be the case. Instead it looks like the gearbox simple rests on rubber pads and is held in place by the motor and the driveshaft-connection to the axles. Am I correct in my understanding of this? And if the pads seem intact but old and brittle do I need to change them?
Thanks

I Leak Oil
08-27-2011, 04:39 PM
First off, I think they come from the factory with dented engine cross members.:thumb-up: As long as it's not making contact with the clutch housing you should be OK.

The transmission mounts are similar in concept (in the case of petrol motors the same part too) to the engine mounts. They bolt to the transmission on one end and the brackets on the other. Over time the mounts can deteriorate and cause the transmission to disconnect from the cross member. If this is the case you just need two new rubber mounts.

Donnie
08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
First off, I think they come from the factory with dented engine cross members.:thumb-up: As long as it's not making contact with the clutch housing you should be OK.

The transmission mounts are similar in concept (in the case of petrol motors the same part too) to the engine mounts. They bolt to the transmission on one end and the brackets on the other. Over time the mounts can deteriorate and cause the transmission to disconnect from the cross member. If this is the case you just need two new rubber mounts.
I would, you will never be any closer.....Donnie

deezgunz
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
You are correct about the mounting of the drivetrain. When I removed my transmission the rubber mounts were ok, but if you have any doubt replace them. I did replace the hardware with nylock nuts and bolts that are used on the propshafts.

Les Parker
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Just a tech. adjustment.
On the petrol 2.25's, the Engine (RNE401) and Gearbox (RNE402) are different, the compound of the mount is less denser on the gearbox than on the engine.
On the Deisel the mounts (RNE400) are the same on the engine and gearbox.

kwd509
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
I was really convinced that they were rubber pads that simply rested on each other, the deterioration of the mounts had occurred in way that made the design look purposeful........it is simple. I need new mounts.

Les, thanks for the part #.