PDA

View Full Version : lost fuel pump prime 68 109

Skookumchuck
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I took Red Rover out for a run up the mountain and about 1/2 up after three miles of a 14% grade it started to lose fuel. I could pump the throttle and it would go a bit but start to die again after 2-3 seconds. It finally just died. So I had to coast in reverse back down the trail until I had a spot to pull off onto a level landing. I took the inline filter off and checked it to see if it was plugged and it was okay, then I used the hand prime on the fuel pump and still nothing. I sat around thinking for a while and took the filter off again and then worked the hand primmer on the fuel pump again. I could hear it trying to pick up the fuel and then the sound changed and i got fuel up to the filter. I put the filter back on and the truck fired right up again.:confused: Sad to say about the time I got it running again the wife pulls up in her Suzuki and gives me the evil eye for calling her and forcing her to come get me. (she hates driving on the mountain trails.) No problems on the way back down the mountain or on the highway home. So in short is my fuel pump going or was it just the long steep grade or just a Rover gremlin that caused me to lose the prime in the pump? I would not like for it to happen again when I am way out in the bush. Some of the trails around here go over 100 miles off of the pavement.

SafeAirOne
08-27-2011, 07:36 PM
How much fuel was in the tank? Was there enough to reach the uplift tube at that steep angle?

Skookumchuck
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
it had a full tank. Maybe it was jsut a piece of krud in the tank blocking the pick up line. Just got back from driving into town with no problem.

bkreutz
08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Could be an indication of a weak fuel pump. going uphill the pump has to move the fuel higher than it does on the flat (or downhill, obviously:D). Maybe it's just worn enough to work on the flat but not on an uphill.

badvibes
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
it had a full tank. Maybe it was jsut a piece of krud in the tank blocking the pick up line. Just got back from driving into town with no problem.

Skook-

I'd check the pick up tube. I had a partially blocked pick up tube, would allow the truck to idle for an hour in the driveway. I would drive @ a mile from the house the truck would wimp out, sputter and die. About the time I'd get the fuel filter off and checked and whatnot it would get fuel again and I'd be able to drive back home. The screen was missing from the end of the pick up tube and when I ran a flexible wire thru it I got chunks of crud. I'd guess that the blockage acted like a govenor of sorts, was allowing the truck to run while not under load, it got enough gas, but when under a little more load it was slowly being fuel starved. The bowl would finally run dry and then I couldn't get gas into the carb fast enough to keep it running. Once I cleaned out the tube that gremlin disappeared. Worth a look.

Jeff

LaneRover
08-28-2011, 07:15 AM
If the V-8's have it I would look in the sediment bowl. I had a problem with my 65 109 SW and it was some sealant from the tank/filltube/whatever was slowly working its way through my system here and there. Once it happened a number of miles in the desert mtns east of San Diego and luckily I was able to clear it.

I Leak Oil
08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Some good suggestions above. I'd add that perhaps your tank isn't vented properly? My yard is quite hilly and my tractor would cut out going up hill. When I loosen the fuel cap it runs fine.

Skookumchuck
08-28-2011, 09:42 AM
So far it is running properly. I am going to try the mountain a gain tomorrow with a bud so if it does it again I don't have to call the wife. Thanks for all of the sugestions and help