PDA

View Full Version : Parts for general maintenance

doctorspears
08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm happy to say I just bought my first Landy, which should be arriving on Monday. It is a 1979 series III exMOD 109. As I do with all "new" vehicles I like to change the oil, oil filter, air filter and the usual other fluids. Can anyone provide some part numbers or recommendations for maintenance? I'm looking for:

- Oil filter manufacturer/part#
- oil recommendations (20w50?)
- air filter part#
- fuel filter?
- other maintenance I should do?

Thanks!

disco2hse
08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
This should get you started:

http://www.landroverweb.com/landrover/pdf-land-rover-manuals/

http://landyonline.co.za/techtalk/4cyl_petrol_and_diesel_servicing.htm

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/SIII_maintenance.htm

stonefox
08-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Doc,
Its very handy to have a green bible and parts book.
Good luck with your new truck.
Have fun!

LaneRover
08-28-2011, 07:22 AM
First I'd ask yourself some questions about your Rover.

Did it sit for awhile before you bought it?

Was the previous owner good about the maintenance?

The transmission, transfer case, differentials and front hubs probably should be at least checked but possibly having the 90wt gear oil changed - if you change the gear oil you need the copper crush washers to properly re-seal the drain and fill plugs.

Unless it has been changed the air filter is an oil bath filter which can be cleaned out and have its oil changed.

How is the coolant?

How is the electrical system? ie do all the lights work properly?

Basically just check the vehicle over. I am not trying to scare you with a huge list of stuff to do, but giving the vehicle a good once over will help you learn your vehicle and notice when something isn't right.

Welcome to Rovering!

Brent

doctorspears
08-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks All!

73series88
08-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Welcome
All the help you would ever need is here as well. if you take care of your rover. It'll take care of you .
Aaron

doctorspears
08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
So my rover finally arrived this morning and it looks pretty neglected. I'd say its been sitting in a field for the last two years (especially considering it had a birds nest in it). I'm going to give her an oil, fuel filter and diff fluid change later this week. But in the mean time I have two concern perhaps you guys can help me with.

(1) It doesn't brake well at all. There are no grinding sounds or anything like that, but there is almost no stopping power. I'm guessing the first thing to do is bleed the brakes? But i'm not sure how to do that.

(2) There are a few small oil leaks. One appears to be dripping from the seal on the oil pan, the others are from the front left and right wheel area (its dripping down the inside of the tire to the ground).
- for the oil pan, what should I reseal with? RTV?
- for the leaks on the wheels, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

LaneRover
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
So my rover finally arrived this morning and it looks pretty neglected. I'd say its been sitting in a field for the last two years (especially considering it had a birds nest in it). I'm going to give her an oil, fuel filter and diff fluid change later this week. But in the mean time I have two concern perhaps you guys can help me with.

(1) It doesn't brake well at all. There are no grinding sounds or anything like that, but there is almost no stopping power. I'm guessing the first thing to do is bleed the brakes? But i'm not sure how to do that.

(2) There are a few small oil leaks. One appears to be dripping from the seal on the oil pan, the others are from the front left and right wheel area (its dripping down the inside of the tire to the ground).
- for the oil pan, what should I reseal with? RTV?
- for the leaks on the wheels, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

The brakes have bleed nipples at each wheel. Before you round them off with a wrench (been there done that) I would spray penetrating oil on each one over a day or two and then loosen the nipples first using a socket that grips on all sides. I would look up brake bleeding on youtube and there are probably a bunch of videos you can watch. Doing it the old fashion way requires a helper to press the brake pedal and hold it while you release the bleed nipple and then you need to re-tighten the nipple before they let up on the brake pedal. Every so often get up of the ground and make sure there is enough brake fluid in the reservoir or you will need to start from the beginning again.

On #2 is the leak coming from the hub or from between the brake backing plate and the brake drum? If it is leaking from in between the brake backing plate and the drum then it may be brake fluid and thus the cause of your problems. Do the brakes firm up after a pump or is it losing fluid? If it firms up after a pump the brakes are way out of adjustment or have air in the system.

I would worry about the brakes first. You can re-seal the oil pan I recommend getting the cardboard seal and then putting the insta-gasket stuff on that.

Have fun!!

knac1234
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
As a newbie somewhat myself, on the oil dripping down the wheels, I am going to guess your swivel ball seals. Cheap to replace (I think I paid $5 a seal or so) and took me all of 2 hours max!

The rest of the leaks....I live with em and watch the levels religiously!

Brakes....I'd look everything over. One system that should be right for sure!

Regards,
Julian

Jim-ME
08-30-2011, 12:07 PM
The leaks on the wheels are probably the swivel seals. Not the easiest job but far from the worst. I tend to use both gaskets and RTV. I'm sure that others will chime in on which is best. Try adjusting your brakes before you bleed them. I am not familiar with 109 brakes so I'm sure others can give you the specifics on adjusting and bleeding them. Before you go too far I'd urge you to get a shop manual either in book form or CD form. They are invaluable. Post some pics of your Rover when you get a chance.
Jim

I Leak Oil
08-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Jim, you forgot to mention a spare fan belt....:p

Jim-ME
08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Go ahead rub it in.
Jim

I Leak Oil
08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Any time buddy! That's what friends are for!

Jim-ME
08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
You'll get a real laugh when I have to drive a Yaris to Metal Dash this year.
Jim

doctorspears
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the help. I fixed a few leaking seals in the transfer box (which had NO fluid in it) and the oil pan. This morning I decided to tackle the "leak" from the driver's side front wheel. It turns out to be Brake fluid, not oil. Specifically the wheel cylinder is leaking. I'm going to try and tear it apart to determine if it is truly broken or can be repaired. However, is there some trick to removing these brake shoes? It seems like i'm going to damage the spring if I pull to hard.

I attached a picture of the brake area and a quick pick of the Rover :-)

Andrew IIA
09-01-2011, 11:27 AM
However, is there some trick to removing these brake shoes? It seems like i'm going to damage the spring if I pull to hard.

I attached a picture of the brake area and a quick pick of the Rover :-)
I use needle-nosed vise-grips to reach in and 'release' (unhook) the spring from the post they're attached too. reverse process to reattach.

doctorspears
09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
So the best way I found was to pry the top of the shoe out and away from the wheel cylinder and let it rest in front of the cylinder. That freed up enough slack to remove it without have to fight with the spring. On a side note I just learned the hard way not to remove the drum screw the entire way out of the drum, because it was apparently already bent and cannot go back in :0.

Thanks!

LaneRover
09-01-2011, 06:44 PM
So the best way I found was to pry the top of the shoe out and away from the wheel cylinder and let it rest in front of the cylinder. That freed up enough slack to remove it without have to fight with the spring. On a side note I just learned the hard way not to remove the drum screw the entire way out of the drum, because it was apparently already bent and cannot go back in :0.

Thanks!

I agree on prying out the top of the shoe to give a bit of slack

Broadstone
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
:)Hope things are going well. I could not help to notice how nice your driveway looks. You might want to take a picture of that because it will not be that nice much longer now you are in the series club!

doctorspears
09-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Actually that is WHY my driveway looks nice :-). I use a acrylic concrete sealer than doesn't soak up oil. This way I can wipe the oil off and spray everything down with a hose!

Broadstone
09-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Actually that is WHY my driveway looks nice :-). I use a acrylic concrete sealer than doesn't soak up oil. This way I can wipe the oil off and spray everything down with a hose!

Great idea! I always liked the clean look of a concrete driveway.