PDA

View Full Version : Speedo question

Nanoose
08-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Friends,

Looking for advice on my speedo. The cable spins when the truck moves but the speedometer doesn't move at all. Here's the end of the cable...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/SVNanoose/IMGP4102.jpg

And here's where it connects

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/SVNanoose/IMGP4105.jpg

I'm guessing that the cable should friction fit into the speedo - is there something missing from the cable end?

Thanks!

Dave

LaneRover
08-28-2011, 07:24 AM
I think there is supposed to be a threaded piece on the cable end to securely attach it to the speedo housing. It has either broken off on the speedo or has loosened slipped down the speedo cable.

Nanoose
08-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry - I wasn't clear...

I've pulled the threaded piece back so you could see the end. I'm assuming that the cable spins and that in turn spins something in the speedo. So there must be(?) some type of connection between the spinning end of the cable and the speedo internals. If so, I can't figure out what that might be.

I looked in the GB and it says there should be a nylon or brass ferrule on the end. I don't have either so am guessing that's the culprit.

That should be an interesting part to try and find...

Dave

Sputnicker
08-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm guessing that the cable should friction fit into the speedo - is there something missing from the cable end?

It's not a friction fit - the ends of the cable have a square cross section that fits in square holes in the speedo and drive gear. Sometimes the cable breaks and the square piece is stuck in the back of the speedo. The cause may be a lack of lubrication in the speedo.

Nanoose
08-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks Sputnicker - that's the info I was looking for.

I'll take a closer look at the rear of the speedo but I don't think there is anything lodged in it - I think the end of the cable is either worn or broken off.

Dave

Jim-ME
08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
The speedo cable needs to be square on the end. If it is rounded off it won't engage the speedometer. Take a close look at the speedometer where the cable screws in and make sure that you are still square in there. Think of the cable as a male end and the speedo fitting as a female end. I can tell from your pictures if you have what you need.
Jim