PDA

View Full Version : I smell gas!!!

Campbell
04-21-2007, 08:51 AM
I got a new fuel tank and gaskets put in a couple of months ago. I have now recently started smelling fuel while driving. I don't figure this could be a good thing. Any ideas where I should look first? Is it possible the people that put the fuel tank in did something wrong?

Momo
04-21-2007, 02:30 PM
If you paid someone to install your fuel tank then I'm guessing you are not one to work on your Land Rover. Really, there's no more mystery to the tank filler hose, fuel line, etc. than there is to a garden hose and nozzle.

How full was you tank when you smelled the fuel? Not uncommon in a Land Rover with a topped off tank and not typically a problem.

Starting at the fuel cap, check every joint and clamp for tightness and dryness. If there is a sheen at any point you have a leak. Tighten the clamp
or bolts respectively, and wipe off any sheen. If the sheen returns after driving your truck then you may have a bad gasket or cracked hose or other imperfection.

Could be leaky sender unit gasket, especially with a little sloshing going on.
Take out the passenger seat base, unscrew the access panel, and again look for sheen. If present unscrew the sender and inspect/replace the gasket. I wouldn't remove the sender if there's no sheen. You will just ruin a good gasket.

Your fuel line forward to the fuel pump is hidden and requires removal of the floor panels to inspect, but you may be able to see sheen on your frame rail , so get under there and inspect along its lenght before taking out the floors.

I vote for a leaky carburettor base gasket or top cover gasket. That will be obvious again due to the sheen of gas on your carb and manifold.

LaneRover
04-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, at least you know there is gas....

Just kidding

If it wasn't replaced with the tank I would definitely take a look at the filler hose. There is even a chance that if it was replaced that they didn't get it on correctly. I know this can happen because I have done it! or in this case not done it.

LaneRover

a109
04-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Another place to check is the screws round the gauge sender unit as the gasket can shrink resulting in a loose fitting.

John

Pleco
04-23-2007, 02:34 AM
If you are smelling gas, you have a leak somewhere. Take it for a ride, and then look for the place your fuel is leaking. Just don't use a match to look!!

There are too many places to point at, but your hose connections behind your seat is very difficult to put in properly. The mechanic might have slipped on that one.

Willard
04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
69 Series 88" The gas tank is easy to see as is the filler hose, fuel sender location and so forth, look for leaks on it, you will know, when gas leaks it leaves residue everywhere. should not be that hard to find the leak.
Series Rovers are the easiest vehicles to work on.

Tim Smith
04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Check the fuel pickup out of the tank. The two bolt that hold that to the tank are kind of small and the installer might have 1) not torqued them enough or 2) snapped one of the bolts...

Either way, this should be easy to find.

Cheers

J!m
04-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Taco Bell (AKA Toxic Hell) has a new ad campaign...

"Stink outside the bum" :p