X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crankin
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2008

Tabs on bulkhead

What are these two tabs located under the lower dash for? There are two more on the other side.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB
  • mongoswede
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

I believe they are for mounting a heater duct that some models used.

Comment

• knac1234
      4th Gear
      • Nov 2010

Guess here....

I think (at least on mine) they might have been there to screw the retainer for the underdash panels into.

Cheers,
      Julian
      Julian
      72 Series III NAS
      03 Disco
      04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
      2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
      65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
      71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Comment

• artpeck
        3rd Gear
        • Dec 2009

By tabs are you referring to the small flexible shaped sheet metal bits that are are close to the bottom of the dash? If so those are clips that hold the cardboard trim in place under the dash in the foot box. There would have been another two down below. Otherwise I am not sure what you are referring to.

Nice paint job by the way. Looks great. I just finished mine and am looking forward to the long weekend to reassemble.
        1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
        1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
        1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Comment

• crankin
          5th Gear
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by artpeck
          By tabs are you referring to the small flexible shaped sheet metal bits that are are close to the bottom of the dash? If so those are clips that hold the cardboard trim in place under the dash in the foot box. There would have been another two down below. Otherwise I am not sure what you are referring to.

Nice paint job by the way. Looks great. I just finished mine and am looking forward to the long weekend to reassemble.
          More trim!?! I have never seen these before. Does anyone have them installed...and wouldn't mind snapping a picture?

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• artpeck
            3rd Gear
            • Dec 2009

I don't have the trip installed. It was pretty ugly and nasty. And literally cardboard. Not LR at it's best moment. I do however have the upper and lower tabs. I am installing the exmoor high density matting and leaving this cardboard area as painted metal. It looks like you have done the same. Anything to report on installing it or how it works in use?

Comment

• SafeAirOne
              Overdrive
              • Apr 2008

Interesting...When I bought my SIII it came with all the footwell trim pieces, but there are no tabs on my bulkhead.

Just as well--I chucked all those cheesy trim pieces. How did they expect those pressboard pieces to hold up if you can't keep rain water out of the inside of the cab??
              --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
              (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• bkreutz
                4th Gear
                • Apr 2010

Just went an looked, no tabs on mine either. The only thought that comes to mind is that they eliminated them on the 73 109's and carried that through on the 88's in 74. (No hard evidence, just a supposition based on looking at the years of the posters who have tabs compared to the ones who do not have them)
                Gale Breitkreutz
                '03 Disco
                '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
                '47 CJ2A

Comment

• artpeck
                  3rd Gear
                  • Dec 2009

Adjacent to this discussion it has been amusing I guess is the word to observe the apparent random use of fasteners that I encountered disassembling the floor, tunnel and seat box area. As I know the single and original owner of the truck I know that it was never disassembled before and therefore this is how it came from the factory. It is like there was a box of random parts on the assembly line used with no apparent order but for the same purpose. A flat head screw here, a washer there, a lock washer occasionally, etc etc. Perhaps one reason why the indigenous automobile industry in the UK didn't exactly flourish. And as a sidebar no acknowledgement in design of the fundamental chemistry of bimetallic corrosion.

Comment

• Cutter
                    4th Gear
                    • Feb 2009

My truck has a piece of metal trim there, I'll take a picture and upload it...

Edit- ok I don't have those tabs on mine, assumed it was under there. Here's the trim part on mine:

Last edited by Cutter; 09-03-2011, 12:51 PM. Reason: added photo

Comment

• LaneRover
                      Overdrive
                      • Oct 2006

I say put an 's' hook through them and use it to keep your plastic takeout bags from tipping over.
                      1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                      1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                      1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                      1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

Working...